Author Topic: how is hot water plumbed on bav 41  (Read 3003 times)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
how is hot water plumbed on bav 41
« on: June 14 2014, 09:34 »
Can anyone explain how the hot water system is plumbed on bav 41 and integrated with engine cooling system.
There is not diagram in the manual and I am somewhat lost.
A clear diagram would be a great help.
Thanks
Aquapore

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: how is hot water plumbed on bav 41
« Reply #1 on: June 14 2014, 14:49 »
The hot water tank (usually called a calorifier) has a coil of metal pipe inside it.  Hot coolant from the engine flows through that pipe and then back to the engine.  You should be able to see 2 black rubber hoses, about 25mm diameter, going between the engine and the tank.  There's also a separate immersion heater (like the one at home) to heat the water when mains power is available.

aquapore

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: June 15 2014, 02:02 »
Thanks tiger. I understand that but what puzzles me is that there is a secondary sea water system that cools this water which would compete for the heat energy with the hot water tank.

Regards

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 15 2014, 08:00 »
The coolant circulating in the engine is thermostatically controlled, so that it maintains a steady (fairly high) temperature - your engine panel may have a temperature gauge which will show this.  The engine's seawater system only cools the coolant when it exceeds the thermostat's temperature setting; the rest of the time it just flows through to keep the exhaust cool.

aquapore

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: June 15 2014, 11:13 »
Thanks I think I understand not - the fresh water goes first to the hot water system when the thermostat opens and then to the sea water cooling system to take out any further heat. Thank  I'm coll with that.

Regards