Author Topic: Mast Head Light - Convert to LED  (Read 5438 times)

Rich Morrical

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Mast Head Light - Convert to LED
« on: November 12 2013, 02:04 »
Greetings:
I have a 2003 Bavaria 36 with a great filament masthead light.  A lot of the anchorage can read in the cockpit.  Of course it draws about 3 amps.

Anyone know what bulb is up there so I can put in an LED with just one (or two) trips up the mast?  The nav lights are Hella 2-pin if that is any guide.  Replaced those LED's.

Regards,
Rich Morrical
Oxford, MD

solar

Re: Mast Head Light - Convert to LED
« Reply #1 on: November 12 2013, 08:52 »
Just replaced the back nav bulb with a LED.
The light is good but every time it's on the small inside control panel light is flickering till I put it off?
Any cure for that?

tony from dorset

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 36 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: November 12 2013, 21:39 »
Hi i had my masthead light replaced with led when i visited lymington the rigger was working on the boat next to mine so i got him to nip up the mast and change it  he charged me £45  its quite a large bulb unlike the nav lights

Tony

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: November 13 2013, 22:28 »
I replaced the anchor light bulb on my 2006 Bav 30 with this:
http://www.boatlamps.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d85.html

I have bought all my boaty LEDs from Boatlamps and the products and service have been faultless.

Rich Morrical

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36
« Reply #4 on: November 17 2013, 12:10 »
Thanks so much.  Found the same bulb in the states @ marinebeam w/ a stern light to match.  The secret was the BAY15D (double contact offset index).  Which boat do you have?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: November 17 2013, 13:08 »
These guys do a good range in boat LEDs too:
http://www.searolf.com

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: June 07 2014, 11:08 »
Be careful when changing the light in a tricolour mast head light. Some of the replacement LED bulbs have three sections with each section showing red or green or white LEDs depending on whether that sector is for port, starboard or stern respectively. The big problem is that you get an overlap of colour into each of the other sectors such that red shows into the stern sector and into the starboard sector and likewise for each of the others. I have cut out small pieces of aluminium sheet which were stuck down the sides of the light to try to stop the overlap, but this only proved partially successful. Probably the best thing is to change the entire light fitting for one specifically provided with its own LED light and to ask the question of whether there is any significant overlap in colour between the different sectors before parting with cash. If the supplier does not know or is vague in answering the question then avoid them and any light you do get would best be tested at home before you fit it to the boat so that you know what it is that you have got before it is fitted.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #7 on: June 10 2014, 10:28 »
For my previous yacht I bought LED lights from this vendor. He seems to be a very experienced electronic engineer, and also world sailor. He has a big variety of LED lights. Check it out.
http://www.led-victorialight.com/indexE.htm

PS: I have no commercial interest in his business !!
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia