Author Topic: Hour counter on tachometer  (Read 3822 times)

lourao

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav 32 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Hour counter on tachometer
« on: May 24 2014, 11:02 »
Hi all,
As I found the answer on this forum about problems encountered by lots of Bav owners with their engine hour counters, I took out the tacho on my B32, dismantled the tacho and hour counter and disconnected the tiny flat cable connector behind it.
I reconnected it again and mounted it all back in place. And a miracle happened as it works fine again.
Thanks folks for taking your time giving hints to others.
Lourao

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Hour counter on tachometer
« Reply #1 on: May 27 2014, 00:03 »
If anyone decides to do the counter replacement (see Downloads page) please don't throw away the old LCD, I need one to do some tests.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: June 17 2014, 12:47 »
Hi All - does anyone know where the data (hours) is stored and when the LCD display is replaced will it read zero of the accumulated hours.

Cheers

RW

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: June 23 2014, 08:48 »
Hi All - does anyone know where the data (hours) is stored and when the LCD display is replaced will it read zero of the accumulated hours.
If you replace it with a standalone unit, then yes it will be zero.

As to where it is stored ...

Like many people I had to replace my VDO tachometer hour counter, but this makes changing the division ratio almost impossible so I've bought a replacement. I've been delving a bit into the electronics, two main reasons:
[1] To read the hour value on the original
[2] To set the hour value on the replacement unit without running it for 1000+ hours

I have discovered that the PCB has a Philips EEPROM PCF8582C, which is where they store the hour data, as well as the division ratio etc.

See datasheet: www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PCF8582C_2.pdf

I think it should be possible to read (and possibly write to) this IC in-situ, it has an I2C-bus interface.

There is also a 6-way FFC socket to the LCD glass, or the connector pins are easily accessible on the rear. Reading the data here would at least give me [1].

To save me reinventing the wheel, has anyone played around with the I2C bus? I was going to play with my Bus Pirate first: http://amzn.to/1eB6yxg

[Later] I swapped the EEPROM from my old unit to the replacement, the hour counter was restored to the correct value.

Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator