Author Topic: Teak wonder  (Read 6616 times)

Scallywag too

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Teak wonder
« on: May 10 2014, 18:02 »
Has anyone tries this on there cockpit sole and seats im thinking of giving it a go as I really don't like the grey teak any pictures would be good ,also does it make it slippy

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Teak wonder
« Reply #1 on: May 10 2014, 18:59 »
Yes, I use it on the teak seats and floor, and it does a great job.

The first time you use it, you clean it, brighten it, then give it 2 or 3 coats of protector, then each year just give it a go with the cleaner and then stick another coat of protector on.

It makes the teak look better, but also stops water soaking into it and so it dries much quicker, and it's not slippery at all.

I have some pics but can't work out how to upload them.

Scallywag too

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: May 10 2014, 21:55 »
Thanks if you can figure out how to post it would be great to see

Anthony

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: May 11 2014, 07:38 »
I have used a UK made product called Wessex system Teak Reviver, part A then part B, diluted in water, scrubbed on then hosed off. Remarkably good results reviving the teak to as new; and you only need one small cupful diluted to do the entire cockpit area. Handy hint: wear plastic gloves!

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: May 11 2014, 10:56 »
If you look at the label you will see that they are made up using Oxalic Acid which you can buy from chemists or ebay at £3 a kilo which will last you a life time.
Hope this helps
Odysseus
Odysseus

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: May 11 2014, 21:37 »
.....and the cleaner (first product applied) is principally an alkaline bleach. Commonly sold in supermarkets as mould remover.
Sweet As
Bav 36

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #6 on: May 11 2014, 22:50 »
I have used a UK made product called Wessex system Teak Reviver, part A then part B, diluted in water, scrubbed on then hosed off. Remarkably good results reviving the teak to as new; and you only need one small cupful diluted to do the entire cockpit area. Handy hint: wear plastic gloves!

Just done my cockpit and deck with Wessex. Very good result after it hadn't been touched for, maybe, 8 - 10 yrs. Really grubby and green slime/mould. Had watched a neighbour do his with Wessex so just did what he'd done and didn't bother to watch the video on the Wessex website. Before you all berate me, I admit that was short-sighted. Not only did I start bare-handed but I knelt down to do it. DON'T do either of these! I put gloves on when I couldn't keep hold of the brush (no fingerprints left) and only kept the skin on my knees 'cos I was using kneeling pads. My trousers are toast. So watch the vid, stand up to do it and wear proper gear. I'm just regrowing a new layer of skin after an unbooked chemical peel. Result: Wessex- excellent, Me? - jury's still out...   :-[

Mark
ATB

Mark

willfinch36

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
« Reply #7 on: May 12 2014, 10:53 »
Teak wonder is brilliant stuff.

Unfortunately I don't have a "before" picture, but as you can imagine it had been exposed to the elements for a few years, after the cleaner, brightener & sealant you end up with this:

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #8 on: May 12 2014, 20:32 »
Hi,
Can you indicate how long it stays more or less like this? What is you sailing location?
So you need 3 treatments, cleaner brightener and sealant. All from Teak Wonder?
Ger

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: May 13 2014, 08:27 »
Yes, you need to use all 3 treatments.

It stays like that for about a year, and then each subsequent year you just clean it and then put another coat of sealer on.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #10 on: May 13 2014, 08:55 »
This looks good and I have been on their website [http://www.teakcleaner.co.uk/instructions.php]. Teakwonder do not appear to supply the final treatment [#3 in your post] of 'teak sealant'. Do you have a recommended product?
Thanks, Jim.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: May 13 2014, 09:23 »

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 13 2014, 13:17 »
You need a combo pack, and a tin of dressing sealer

http://marinestore.co.uk/Teak_Wonder.html

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #13 on: May 31 2014, 09:09 »
After reading all the posts above, I used oxalic acid (in solution) to clean the wood and Ronseal's natural teak oil to 'protect'. It came up like new  :kewl.

Cost: 500g oxalic acid = £5; 1000ml Ronseal Teak Oil = £10

I have enough teak oil left over to do this again at the end of the sailing season. The oxalic acid will last about 10 years!