Author Topic: Main Bilge Pump question  (Read 4557 times)

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Main Bilge Pump question
« on: May 27 2014, 10:55 »
For the first time ever I switched on at the electrical panel the main bilge pump on our 2000 B34.  Note there was really no water in the bilge to speak of.  The boat is always bone dry so never needed it in past.  However, it did not start (no noise from it at all).  My question is does the main bilge pump only operate when flooded with water?   There is no visible float switch so was wondering if the model installed had an integrated automatic switch?

nomadic star

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Main Bilge Pump question
« Reply #1 on: May 27 2014, 18:40 »
Hi, we have the same set up I think. Our pump kicks in after approx 6 inched of water, we know because we tried the same as , flicked switch on nothing, bowl of water added hey presto. Maybe try it your self to make sure.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #2 on: May 28 2014, 00:25 »
Try looking up the pump using the model number.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 28 2014, 00:37 »
Hi, I posted a similar question on December 02, 2013 entitled "Electric bilge pump not working". There may be additional ideas on that thread. In the end I had to replace my pump.

Wayne

Ricd

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: May 28 2014, 09:25 »
Thanks Nomadic Star and Nigel.  We found the issue just as we were leaving the boat so intend to check model number and flood test when i go back down on Friday.  Have not verified the pump type/model but from images on the net it looks like a Johnson Pump (Red and black top with side nozzle and black bottom strainer) and the info states that one of the models is automatic, another requires a separate float switch and a third is fully manual...so if it is a Johnson I just need to verify which one.

Thanks
Richard

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 28 2014, 18:25 »
More than likely the pump has seized through lack of use. Test for power at the pump end of the wires. Also you can take the bottom cover off and see if the rotor turns. Does not need a float switch. I had exactly the same problem with a similar age pump and replaced it with a Rule 2000 which is both physically and capacity a direct replacement.

Ricd

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: June 02 2014, 16:34 »
Just checked, its a Johnson L2200. Will flood and see it it kicks in.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #7 on: June 05 2014, 07:49 »
Just checked, its a Johnson L2200. Will flood and see it it kicks in.
I'm pretty sure that's what mine is, it's manual. I had to replace it as it had seized.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator