Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Volvo Penta air filter

(1/2) > >>

MIA:
Has anyone replaced the air filter on a D2 40, I can't find an actual filter element anywhere seems you have to purchase the complete unit which is around £70

Stevie

dawntreader:
I think you are referring to Volvo part 3809924 which is the same as fitted to my B37 D1-30 engine. This is a single unit part and, like most Volvo spares, is significantly over-priced. I managed to buy a new one on ebay and then took the old one apart. The casing is a moulding over a simple paper filter and I expect it is possible to use a car filter box in its place to do the same job. The price of a replacement filter would then be a fraction of the cost. Why this unit is not serviceable I don't know!

Note: the filter I removed had not been replaced for over 4 years but was very clean internally. As it is inside the engine housing and protected from the environment other than light dust I see no real reason to change it again either.

MIA:
Thanks for the info, it's been 3 years since mine was changed, when I do change it I think I'll cut it open like you done

Stevie

Alec:
you could look at putting an off the shelf pre filter/filter from a supplyer connected to the existing inlet with a hose and the filter mounted above the engine or on the back wall, they have simple set ups and most filter supply centers and the savings will be considerable compared to Volvo parts

MIA:

--- Quote from: Alec on February 27 2014, 12:51 ---you could look at putting an off the shelf pre filter/filter from a supplyer connected to the existing inlet with a hose and the filter mounted above the engine or on the back wall, they have simple set ups and most filter supply centers and the savings will be considerable compared to Volvo parts

--- End quote ---

Alec

have you done the conversion that you mentioned, if so have you any photos and part details and suppliers

Stevie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version