Author Topic: Volvo Penta air filter  (Read 6249 times)

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Volvo Penta air filter
« on: February 25 2014, 15:17 »
Has anyone replaced the air filter on a D2 40, I can't find an actual filter element anywhere seems you have to purchase the complete unit which is around £70

Stevie

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
Re: Volvo Penta air filter
« Reply #1 on: February 25 2014, 17:07 »
I think you are referring to Volvo part 3809924 which is the same as fitted to my B37 D1-30 engine. This is a single unit part and, like most Volvo spares, is significantly over-priced. I managed to buy a new one on ebay and then took the old one apart. The casing is a moulding over a simple paper filter and I expect it is possible to use a car filter box in its place to do the same job. The price of a replacement filter would then be a fraction of the cost. Why this unit is not serviceable I don't know!

Note: the filter I removed had not been replaced for over 4 years but was very clean internally. As it is inside the engine housing and protected from the environment other than light dust I see no real reason to change it again either.

MIA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: February 25 2014, 17:37 »
Thanks for the info, it's been 3 years since mine was changed, when I do change it I think I'll cut it open like you done

Stevie

Alec

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 27 2014, 12:51 »
you could look at putting an off the shelf pre filter/filter from a supplyer connected to the existing inlet with a hose and the filter mounted above the engine or on the back wall, they have simple set ups and most filter supply centers and the savings will be considerable compared to Volvo parts

MIA

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: February 27 2014, 13:14 »
you could look at putting an off the shelf pre filter/filter from a supplyer connected to the existing inlet with a hose and the filter mounted above the engine or on the back wall, they have simple set ups and most filter supply centers and the savings will be considerable compared to Volvo parts

Alec

have you done the conversion that you mentioned, if so have you any photos and part details and suppliers

Stevie

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: February 28 2014, 23:00 »
I also have a D1-30 and recoil at the price of the air filter. So far I have never changed it, on the basis that it lives in the most undusty environment I could imagine. I' have to do it some day though and when it comes I'll cut the box open and go to my tame car accessory man to find a filter that fits.

Current ideas for reassembling the filter casing:
  • Glue along the joint I have cut
  • Jubilee clips
  • Long screws and nuts right through the filter case

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #6 on: March 02 2014, 10:00 »
The filter element in the case is glued to the inside of the unit and not really replaceable. Although I have not yet sourced a complete replacement filter unit and housing (from a car/lorry manufacturer) it is on my 'bucket list' of things to do.

Alec

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 03 2014, 05:07 »
Hi,
No I have not done on my yacht but have done on plenty of Lister engines over the years. We would put a "Donaldson" air filter housing on with a hose as mentioned and move the filter away from the black exhaust. If you contact a filter supplyer and show them what you have they I am sure will have something off the shelf. Also lieke someone else has mentioned the filter in the yacht will last a long time as the air is very clean, I don't expect to change mine for a few years at least.
Alec