Author Topic: Fuel Sender  (Read 5158 times)

greg.milner

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision 44
  • Boat Year: 2006
Fuel Sender
« on: September 02 2014, 09:16 »
The fuel gauge on my Vision 44 (2006) shows 1/4 full when the tank is full. I think it is the fuel sender unit as I can get the gauge to go from full to empty as I short the sender wire between 0V and 12V.

I have been told by a Bavaria supplier that the sender unit and gauge are unique to Bavaria and I can not use a non-Bavaria replacement.

Does anybody know if this is the case?

Thanks

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Fuel Sender
« Reply #1 on: September 02 2014, 12:18 »
My sender unit was replaced with an after-market one, so I can't see why you shouldn't be able to do that.

Take it out and have a look at it, it might just have a bit or carp on it that needs cleaning off.

greg.milner

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision 44
« Reply #2 on: September 02 2014, 13:20 »
Thanks for the information, I took it out and cleaned it but the bottom half of the solder resist on the long thin circuit board is damaged. Could you tell me which make of sender you replaced yours with?

Thanks

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 02 2014, 21:28 »
Can't help there I'm afraid, as I didn't replace it (charter company did it). Do some Google image searches and see what you find.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 03 2014, 11:09 »
Pretty sure you will find the fuel guage is a VDO unit and the senders are freely available. Google VDO UK and you will get their website to identify your unit and a number of potential suppliers. I bought mine from Merlin Motor Sport.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #5 on: September 03 2014, 18:09 »
I had a reasonably priced digital replacement for my sender from Clipper  some years ago which was compatible with the existing fuel gauge on my 2006 B37. However, when the gauge rusted (yes, thanks Bavaria for supplying an iron-based unit) and I tried to source a replacement from ASAP supplies I was told that the units are indeed specific for Bavaria and that they could not provide one. I have since sourced a replacement gauge at a comparable market price from Clipper.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: September 04 2014, 17:30 »
As above, they are made by VDO; you can confirm this by looking at the gauge. I replaced mine some time ago, as I needed a longer support strut, the original didn't reach the bottom of the tank.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
« Reply #7 on: September 10 2014, 13:27 »
Any vdo will do as all you'll need is 2 wires (12v and ground ). Ignore the 3rd 12volt line.

Friend changed his B42c and works fine .

Hratch
CRYSTAL I