Author Topic: Forward Ocean tank fill  (Read 1737 times)

semaphore

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Forward Ocean tank fill
« on: February 28 2021, 00:01 »
I made the mistake of looking too closely at my aft fill hose. It was covered both inside and out in slime and grime. It wasn't a difficult decision to replace it.

Now I'm doing the same with the forward one fill. and things are not as straightforward. It appears someone fitted an aluminum tube between the lazerette and v-berth with a bunch of 5200. There were no hose barbs, and there was 5200 between the tube and the fill hose. From inside the lazerette there appears to be some not matching fiberglass work. Both sections of hose were kinked preventing full flow.

I'm wondering what it looked like from the factory, and what the best way would be to correct it. There are signs of water ingress in the past, but I can't tell how old they are.

At the moment I was considering
https://www.mcmaster.com/hose-fittings/=7194801259bf468e86aa207ab9598c9fklodw7ih on one side of the bulkhead
and https://www.mcmaster.com/hose-fittings/=7194801259bf468e86aa207ab9598c9fklodxup3 on the other.

I need to do more measuring.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Forward Ocean tank fill
« Reply #1 on: February 28 2021, 10:48 »
On our 40 Ocean it's a straight run from the bow filler down through a channel of fibreglass at the very tip of the bow, separating it from the anchor locker. The smaller tank vent hose runs parallel to it. Originally there was some fibreglass tabbed around the hose at the top (in the anchor locker), which wasn't a good solution as it let water pass along the outside of the hose from the anchor locker into the bow cabin. I fixed this with some self-amalgamating tape and adhesive sealant, which stopped the leaking.

To replace the hose, I would have to cut away that and some of the fibreglass tabbing, then make it waterproof around the new hose again. If you have the space, a bulkhead hose fitting would be nice, but on our boat at least there is no way to access the underside, so that wouldn't be possible.

It might be easier to just clean the hose in place instead :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
« Reply #2 on: March 03 2021, 10:06 »
Hi
Looks similar to mine on my ocean 38.  I have in the locker 2 protruding stainless steel pipes that extend below and from these each has a  pipe to the water tank-one water the other is an air vent pipe.  Each ss hose pipe  has a welded ring where it is screwed and sealed down to the base of the locker. Mine was a mess (see photo)and had been leaking for a while plus I had a leak from the anchor locker bulkhead due someone during manufacture using a screw that penetrated this from inside the boat during construction which was letting water in from the anchor locker.  I had to remove each ss pipe, the welded ss ring was covered in some areas with gelcoat so had to be carefully chipped away.  I rebedded and sealed/screwed them down again repaired chipped gel and just cleaned the hoses and replaced the corroded hose clips which were poor quality and rusty.  There were no barbs in the ss pipes either as I remember.  I also had the join on the air vent hose as you have but further down the pipe.  The area is now totally dry and mould free. It wasn’t easy like most jobs as was difficult hanging into the locker to remove the ss pipes.

semaphore

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: March 05 2021, 17:30 »
Hi
Looks similar to mine on my ocean 38.  I have in the locker 2 protruding stainless steel pipes that extend below and from these each has a  pipe to the water tank-one water the other is an air vent pipe.  Each ss hose pipe  has a welded ring where it is screwed and sealed down to the base of the locker. Mine was a mess (see photo)and had been leaking for a while plus I had a leak from the anchor locker bulkhead due someone during manufacture using a screw that penetrated this from inside the boat during construction which was letting water in from the anchor locker.  I had to remove each ss pipe, the welded ss ring was covered in some areas with gelcoat so had to be carefully chipped away.  I rebedded and sealed/screwed them down again repaired chipped gel and just cleaned the hoses and replaced the corroded hose clips which were poor quality and rusty.  There were no barbs in the ss pipes either as I remember.  I also had the join on the air vent hose as you have but further down the pipe.  The area is now totally dry and mould free. It wasn’t easy like most jobs as was difficult hanging into the locker to remove the ss pipes.

Yes, those look extremely similar. Compared to the rest of the boat, this area certainly doesn't seem up to the quality standards. I also have a couple of rusty screws oriented forward/aft out the gelcoat and perhaps it's similar to what you're describing. This picture is the ceiling of the v-birth / anchor locker wall.

I'm not looking forward to tearing up the forward locker to get at these. 

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: March 06 2021, 00:35 »
Having sealed everything regarding the ss pipes I thought that all the source of all the water leaks fixed but I was wrong...   I still had water on the interior bulkhead which made up the anchor locker essentially the front section of the interior. I noticed a rust area inside the anchor locker, difficult to see without hanging upside down into anchor locker, this was due to a screw penetrating through the bulkhead.  I filed the sharp screw head  down and covered with epoxy which sealed the leak....after a lot of cursing. The screw was from a wooden strip inside and just above and forward of the ss pipes that come down into the forward cabin (first photo)...the second photo is from inside the anchor locker looking aft.....have a look but perhaps I was just unlucky.  It’s worth checking as you have everything exposed having removed the interior panel which covers everything.  Like a lot of jobs one lead to another but this one pissed me off as was down to shoddy workmanship on essentially a cracking sailing yacht. 

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #5 on: March 08 2021, 15:21 »
For what it's worth, we are fairly certain our 38 ocean leaks there as well.  It has been on the list for some time.  Thank you for starting this thread to remind us it didn't magically fix itself.  We appreciate the community insight!

semaphore

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: March 10 2021, 17:25 »
On further investigation, the wood in the panel between the locker and the chain locker is wet and soft. So is a bit around the fill on the windlass shelf. So I'll be working on that first.   

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: March 10 2021, 23:42 »
Good idea that’s what I did, started at the filler then worked my way down....all the connections and sealed/cleaned them all..,plus the damn screws thru the bulk head into anchor locker.  I see your boat is the same year as mine so likely similar issues.