Author Topic: Leak to aft cabin b38 2003  (Read 4979 times)

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Leak to aft cabin b38 2003
« on: January 27 2014, 16:29 »
Found leak in aft cabin starboard size , a drip coming from access panel in side that allows access to underneath  binnacle , havent had time to open yet

sealing to deck looks ok , instruement panel has  been off and on a few times .

Has a binnacle cover , but its soaked through .

Guessing praps need to reseal panel ,

anyone any experience of this particular problem , annoying as boat is so dry otherwise , apart from main shroud fixings , but have plans for that following advice to others elsewhere in this forum

Cheers

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: Leak to aft cabin b38 2003
« Reply #1 on: January 27 2014, 17:40 »
could be seal around throttle/gear control, if the cover touches the leaver then water will trickle down and get in around worn seal. Easy to check, remove compass and you may see witness route taken by water. Good luck.

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: January 28 2014, 10:53 »
The compass cover 'soaked thru' sounds ominous..... check the seal there. Also undo the perimeter screws holding the helm instrument  panel in place and gently prize it up and away.... it has a somewhat gluey sponge seal but can be easily removed.
I presume you have a waterproof cover slipped over the helm station when not in  use?

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: January 29 2014, 16:28 »
binnacle cover , covers the binnacle completely including wheel , not compass cover , but ill check seating of compass too , though that hasnt been disturbed

Cheers

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: February 02 2014, 07:17 »
Same thing with mine, a lot of the equipment requires to be sealed again, water soaked all the bedding, put the cover on yesterday

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 02 2014, 22:24 »
Since the bimini got trashed in the storm a few months ago, I have noticed a small leak in the back cabin.

So today I did some digging, and when I took the compasses off, the foam gasket under both was wet, as was the bottom of both compasses and the steering gear below.  I dried off the foam gasket and put a big bead of butyl round them.

So I would suggest that the first place to look is the compass.  I when you take it off, the foam is wet, then you have found your leak.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: March 28 2014, 19:29 »
I had this problem on my Bav 36 where water was leaking onto the starboard cabin mattress through where the GRP mouldings under the steering binnacle met the wood transom separating the cabin from the steering compartment. On investigation it was found that the securing screws, which hold a piece of flat plastic sheet in place below and just aft of the helm seat and which fits over the inboard end of the boarding ladder, were a sloppy fit in the holes they were supposed to screw into. Water was able to leak past the screws and was dropping onto a cable. That cable was supported in a way which allowed it to slope down towards the area above where the water was leaking into the cabin before the cable then sloped up inside the binnacle. At the low point the water dropped off, seeped through and soaked the corner of the mattress. The trick was to stop the water getting in, so the screw holes were drilled out to a slightly larger size, and instead of using screws, I used bolts to secure the flat plastic sheet referred to earlier. This was a bit tricky working on my own trying to put in place a large washer and a nut and then tighten the nuts, but not impossible. Also to try to ensure a watertight seal I fitted rubber grommets around the bolts between the plastic sheet and the hull moulding which once the nuts were tightened the grommets then effectively sealed around the bolts without making the assembly impossible to remove at a later date. I also moved the cable supports so that the low point was moved further aft and well inside the steering compartment. Since then there has been no further problem from that area, but in other areas the handrail stanchion bases need work to stop the leaks.