Author Topic: Sock versus a spinnaker  (Read 5299 times)

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Sock versus a spinnaker
« on: January 12 2014, 21:15 »
I have a 30 cruiser where sailing downwind in light air the boat barely moves. I have been thinking about a sock is there one that could help me to pick up speed. Also will there be a problem with rigging the boat to handle this new sail.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Sock versus a spinnaker
« Reply #1 on: January 12 2014, 22:35 »
There are various different types of light weather sails typically called cruising chutes or Gennakers in Europe. No difficulty in fitting one to your boat. You need to discuss your requirements with an experienced sailmaker who will design a sail and the necessary hardware to handle it.

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 13 2014, 06:47 »
I have a cruising chute with a sock on it and its very efficient, very quick to operate and simple to rig up.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #3 on: January 13 2014, 07:50 »
I have extensively used a cruising chute on my B37, sailing short-handed. No complicated rigging required if you already have a spinnaker halyard in place. By using a whisker pole you can sail directly downwind too. You will need two blocks at the rear for the control lines port and starboard. Also I suggest you use the 'Tacker' for your furled genoa which can be obtained here: http://www.seateach.com/Tacker.htm

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 13 2014, 13:29 »
I have extensively used a cruising chute on my B37, sailing short-handed. No complicated rigging required if you already have a spinnaker halyard in place. By using a whisker pole you can sail directly downwind too. You will need two blocks at the rear for the control lines port and starboard. Also I suggest you use the 'Tacker' for your furled genoa which can be obtained here: http://www.seateach.com/Tacker.htm

Sorry to push in on the thread  :-[ - but I am considering doing the same using my genoa whisker pole too.  I have spinny halyd in place but no addnl Tlift.  Do you use/rig up an up or down haul of any sort to control the pole position?   Or do you purely hoist it up, stick the pole on the control line, lift the sock and use the control sheet from a block at the cockpit?  Also, when you gybe, do you drop the sock (assuming you have a sock!)and start again or manage dynamically?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
« Reply #5 on: January 13 2014, 21:02 »
I suggest as a minimum the use of an up-haul for the pole. The control lines won't stop the pole rising/falling. How to do the rest depends on several factors such as sea/weather conditions, crew numbers and how long you would be using the chute.  To gybe I loosen the control line, use the snuffer to control the sail (as there is only me up front), then release the pole from one side, shorten it and swing it across the foredeck to the other side. That is where the up-haul line is essential. Clip to the new control line, lengthen the pole and let the snuffer up again. I usually rig a line to stop the pole rising (but not always).

I strongly recommend an emergency line running in-board along the pole to act as a quick release for letting go the pole clips on the control lines. You will need it.

willfinch36

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
« Reply #6 on: January 14 2014, 14:05 »
I have a cruising chute with a sock on it and its very efficient, very quick to operate and simple to rig up.

+1 on My Bav30.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #7 on: January 15 2014, 09:26 »
I think there is a conflict of terminology from the OP here. As you say, a sock is jargon for a snuffer.

I had a cruising chute on my B47, bought by one of my boat partners. When I bought the boat outright, I asked him to remove it!
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: January 15 2014, 13:34 »
Nigel yes a snuffer I'm referring to  ;), only called it a sock as per subject title  ???

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #9 on: January 15 2014, 14:28 »
Is there a used market where I can purchase a sock or do I have to have it made ?