Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Sock versus a spinnaker

<< < (2/2)

dawntreader:
I suggest as a minimum the use of an up-haul for the pole. The control lines won't stop the pole rising/falling. How to do the rest depends on several factors such as sea/weather conditions, crew numbers and how long you would be using the chute.  To gybe I loosen the control line, use the snuffer to control the sail (as there is only me up front), then release the pole from one side, shorten it and swing it across the foredeck to the other side. That is where the up-haul line is essential. Clip to the new control line, lengthen the pole and let the snuffer up again. I usually rig a line to stop the pole rising (but not always).

I strongly recommend an emergency line running in-board along the pole to act as a quick release for letting go the pole clips on the control lines. You will need it.

willfinch36:

--- Quote from: MIA on January 13 2014, 06:47 ---I have a cruising chute with a sock on it and its very efficient, very quick to operate and simple to rig up.

--- End quote ---

+1 on My Bav30.

Nigel:

--- Quote from: MIA on January 13 2014, 06:47 ---I have a cruising chute with a sock on it and its very efficient, very quick to operate and simple to rig up.

--- End quote ---
I think there is a conflict of terminology from the OP here. As you say, a sock is jargon for a snuffer.

I had a cruising chute on my B47, bought by one of my boat partners. When I bought the boat outright, I asked him to remove it!

MIA:
Nigel yes a snuffer I'm referring to  ;), only called it a sock as per subject title  ???

Vinnie45:
Is there a used market where I can purchase a sock or do I have to have it made ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version