Author Topic: Faulty fuel gauge  (Read 4048 times)

oldseadog

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 1998
Faulty fuel gauge
« on: January 05 2014, 22:00 »
The fuel gauge on my Bavaria 42 (1998) is constantly reading full. It is a floating arm type and I am finding it difficult to get any advice on how to get it out and on identifying a suitable replacement. Any ideas please?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Faulty fuel gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 05 2014, 23:01 »
The sender unit is probably made by VDO. On the top of the fuel tank is a small removable plate with wires attached to it. Remove the plate and the sender comes out with it. You may have to fiddle with it to get the float out through the hole. A VDO dealer will be able to identify the specific type and supply a replacement.

Suggest first you check the electrical connections as they are prone to corrosion.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 06 2014, 20:41 »
I bought a replacement from Clipper Marine for my B37, very simple to fit. Bavaria no longer supply the float type sender but this can be replaced by a digital (tube) sender. The sender is compatible with the original fuel gauge but the wiring colours are different. If you go down this route Clipper should provide the new colour combinations - if not, I have them.

Ethel

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Sportline 350
  • Boat Year: 1993
« Reply #3 on: March 02 2014, 07:01 »
The fuel gauge on my Bavaria 42 (1998) is constantly reading full. It is a floating arm type and I am finding it difficult to get any advice on how to get it out and on identifying a suitable replacement. Any ideas please?

To extract the floating arm sensor it may be necessary to loosen the screw connecting the float arm to the sensor body with e.g. long nose pliers, taking care not to drop the float arm into the tank !

The commonest brand of replacement sensors are made by WEMA. You need to purchase the correct length of sensor for the depth of your tank, leaving at least 5mm clearance at the bottom. They come with a standard five hole fitting to match the existing access hole.