Author Topic: rudder reference indicator intallation  (Read 6008 times)

Ronald

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2018
rudder reference indicator intallation
« on: January 04 2014, 15:17 »
Hello, first quick introduction as I am new to this forum. I am Ronald, 52, Born and living in The Netherlands and recently purchased a 2010 Bavaria Vision.

As I noticed during the maiden voyage there was no rudder position indication when in  Standby and found out no rudder reference indicator is installed.
I managed to get my hands on a new indicator on E bay, and looking how to install best.

Would any of you have some pictures how the indicator is installed and connected to the steering of a Bavaria 40. (two steers)

As I assume the Bavaria 40 with dual steering will be very similar a snap shot of the indicator installed would be very helpfull.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ronald.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: rudder reference indicator intallation
« Reply #1 on: January 05 2014, 12:06 »
Hi Ronald,

If I understand you correctly, you want to know the position of the rudder  at any time whilst at the helm by looking at some form of indicator? 

Most of us (AFAIK) just mark each wheel with either three strips if electrical tape (or similar) at TDC when the rudder is set at directly straight, along with a piece of whipped on 2/3mm cord at TDC for feeling when using at night.  You can get sophisticated rudder position gauges, mine has one as part of the AP system that shows position using a bar that shows red and green etc, but TBH, I use the wheel marks.

Ronald

• First Mate
Re: rudder reference indicator installation
« Reply #2 on: January 05 2014, 15:22 »
Hi the tape markers are in place.

What I am referring to is the Raymarine indicator which is a swiveltype of arm connecting to the steering arm, it provide a read out on the 6002+ rudder bar, similar than when you are on autopilot.

See http://www.raymarine.com/uploadedImages/Products/Fishfinders/Transducers/Instrument_Transducers/798e404e8d28a2491844319318cf.jpg

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: January 05 2014, 22:25 »
Ronald,
I think it is no difference with one or two steering wheels if you connect it directly to the quadrant.
You put a link in your last post. This shows only the reference indicator. To it belongs also a rod with ball acception ends at both sides to click on the ball of the reference indicator and at a ball to be mounted on the quadrant. In the manual you can find how to mount the reference indicator. Maybe you have to find a stable foundation to mount the indicator or to build one by yourself. At least I did on my BAV 38
regards,

Ger

Ronald

• First Mate
« Reply #4 on: January 06 2014, 06:49 »
Quote. Maybe you have to find a stable foundation to mount the indicator or to build one by yourself

Exactly and I am Hoping to get some ideas from the forum, if they would coincidentally did the same or have some pictures of there installation.

Ronald.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: January 06 2014, 13:00 »
As I assume the Bavaria 40 with dual steering will be very similar a snap shot of the indicator installed would be very helpfull.

These are from my 2000 B47.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: January 06 2014, 14:06 »
Couple of photos of mine and bracket
Stevie

Ronald

• First Mate
« Reply #7 on: January 06 2014, 21:08 »
Nigel , Stevie.
Thank you this already is very helpfull, I like the bracket as it is pretty easy to model.

Other whom have some pictures of similar installs on a double steer, please share.

Ronald.