Author Topic: Bavaria 31 1999  (Read 4524 times)

russell harding

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 31
  • Boat Year: 1999
Bavaria 31 1999
« on: September 15 2013, 12:17 »
We are currently looking at purchasing a very clean example of the Bavaria 31 (1999)
The survey has picked up on a small leak to the port aft cabin resulting in some water damage to the vinyl trim and aft wood panel,corrosion to the fridge condenser ,very small sign of corrosion to the aft keel nut and a recommendation to renew the sail drive rubber seal.
Other than that the boat seems to have a clean bill of health
This is our first boat and we would like some feedback from current owners just as peace of mind
Russ & Lisa

Viking

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 50 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Bavaria 31 1999
« Reply #1 on: September 15 2013, 23:34 »
Leaks appear to be a quite common problem, unfortunately, and it can be very difficult to locate the root cause.
My observation is based on extensive research on a lot of forums plus first hand experience with my B50.
Possible sources are:
1) windows (both through hull windows and the opening overhead windows, if you have any of those)
2) the bedding of stanchions
3) the joining of hull and topsides - note that the water can travel inside from far forward and makenits way back to the aft cabin or a cockpit locker.

As far a s the rust on the keel bolt is concerned, inspect the entire keel thoroughly to make sure the boat has not been grounded.
I would insist on removing the seal between the hull and the keel to check that there are no hidden gaps, which could be sign of a grounding.
If you are suspicious of a grounding, ask the surveyor to check the stucture under the floorboards (he should look for small hairline cracks in the brown gelcoat used inside the hull.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 16 2013, 06:33 »
If that's all the survey picked-up, you've found a good boat.

Pretty-much all Bavarias leak from somewhere.

If the leak worries you, then you'll have to go hunting for it.  Replacing the vinyl-backed wood panel is cheap and easy to do.

As far as the rust on the keel bolt goes, ask the surveyor what he thinks (he'll probably tell you to ignore it, unless he thinks that it needs looking at).

Buy it and have fun.

russell harding

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 31
« Reply #3 on: September 30 2013, 21:37 »
Thanks for the comments guys
We have just put down the deposit and hope to sail her back to Portsmouth in a few weeks
We have taken advantage of the boat out of the water and resealed the keel and applied two coats of navy blue anti foul,polished the hull and cleaned her from tip to toe.
Just need a marina mooring for the winter within our budget as not much change left
Any one coming out for the winter in a gosport marina who doesn't require there mooring would be appreciated
Large case of wine supplied  ;)

Dougmarke

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31
« Reply #4 on: December 24 2013, 08:33 »
I know this is a old thread...   

That leak in the aft cabin is identical to one in ours...  (We have the same boat...)

It's coming  from under the aft port fairlead...  Have that liftd off and rebedded and you should be fine... 

The yard did it for me for £100...  So not worth leaving!