Author Topic: Volvo Penta  (Read 4692 times)

Calypso

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 1987
Volvo Penta
« on: October 05 2013, 19:45 »
New to the forum but wanted to ask if anyone can help,

1st the fuel gauge reads empty when full and appears to be working in reverse.

2nd anyone know of a source for the sinks in the cabins

3rd most important I can run the engine a little smoke during running, works fine as long as you keep the rmp at 2200 revs but as soon as you hit a head wind and push a little harder the cooling whistle sounds reducing the revs back down to 2200 stops the whistling alarm but have no idea why or if I can push the engine further it feels like it should have more guts than that but I am unclear on where to start looking for fault sensor or engine. There is pleanty of water flowing at all revs even when ticking over.

Hope someone can help with a few starter issues

Please email [DELETED by Nigel] if you can help

Thanks

Peter

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Vovo Penta
« Reply #1 on: October 06 2013, 10:34 »
Peter, lots of info on this web site about your problems use the search box with key words.

Overheating on a diesel engine is us ally water flow, you may think there is lots of water but how do you know!

Go through the process of elimination, back flush with a hose pipe connecting from weed filter back, a good pressure is needed.

Then you start on impeller housings, pipes and heat exchanger as these are a common source of blockage. Bits off a broken impell or get stuck in heatexchanger.

Exhaust elbow is the final issue I know of, a build up of "crud"reduces the flow, but start with the first possibilities.

Bad running could be fuel as this is another common issue, look at the pinch points of fuel delivery, filters, tank pick up pipe, fuel switch as this is a gas switch really with very small holes for fuel to run through, see photo.

If you are in Europe remember, they put 10% bio fuel in now and this is like home from home for the diesel bug. Put fuel set in each time you fill up.

Come back after you have had a look at above.
Hope this helps

Odysseus
Odysseus

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: October 06 2013, 16:37 »
1st the fule gauge reads empty when full and appears to be working in reverse.
2nd anyone know of a source for the sinks in the cabins
3rd ... the cooling whistle sounds reducing the revs back down to 2200 stops the whistling alarm

[1] There are two main types of fuel gauge, one has needs high resistance to register full, the other needs low. It would appear you have the wrong gauge or sender unit.

[2] Pass

[3] Check your sea-water impeller
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Alec

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 07 2013, 06:53 »
Hi Calypso,
Just adding a comment to the ones below is your impeller clean and the right size ?
My boat had been sitting in the water for 2 seasons before pulling out and cleaning/antifouling. the propellow had barnacles over it and of course the hull..Until that was done the engine was sluggish and blew a little smoke and I had heating problems, (sounds a bit like yours) once she went back in the water all returned to normal no smoke and more power.

doctordoom

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Volvo Penta overheating problem
« Reply #4 on: December 08 2013, 17:08 »
Hi there Calypso, trust that your overheating problem has been sorted by now, in addition to previous good advice another thought is ; have you checked the heat exchanger? I assume you have indirect cooling with a hot water tank, on my last boat I had the Volvo 2003, noticed that the hot water in the tank got very HOT and the engine was running hot even though plenty of sea water was coming through the exhaust, took out the heat exchanger and found it full of soapy goo that had built up on the fresh water side, cleaned it  with a jet wash and replaced, was advised to use the red antifreeze/inhibitor and distilled water only  in the system and change it at least every three seasons, never had any further problems.
My latest boat is a Bavaria 34 circa 2000 with Volvo 2020 diesel engine was purchased 2 months ago, took out the heat exchanger which did not appear to have ever been out in past 13 years(green paint on hose clips perfect!) and found it full of goo. So far so good now cleaned!
Good sailing; John.

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: December 08 2013, 22:17 »
It's always a good idea when motoring to occasionally look or listen for the water spray from the exhaust. I find it very easy to also kneel on the swim board (scoop stern) and put my hand under the exhaust outlet; it's always mildly warm and that means cooling is ok. Steam and too hot to touch is a bad sign!
Should there be no cooling water flow, the exhaust note will change to a 'hollow, booming' sound because it is just gas in the pipe with no water... in that case turn off the engine.