Author Topic: re-torquing keel bolts  (Read 318 times)

mjt2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
re-torquing keel bolts
« on: October 20 2024, 16:34 »
Hello,

When I bought my Bavaira, its bilges were bone dry.  But, after some time, mine typically have a bit of water in them.  I know that ONE source is leaky portlights.  I will get those fixed soon.  Another source MAY be the keel area.  We've been soft aground a few times.  So, the next time I take her out of the water, I wanted to have the bolts re-torqued. 

While a few of my mentors think this is great, some say it is a huge risk and not to take it, and another said it is OK as long as we don't let just any ol' "Yard Monkey" with a torque wrench do it.

Looking for advice:
1. Have you had your bolts re-torqued? 
    a. If so, how did it go?  Did it help or hurt?
    b. Was there anything special you did for this process?
2. Do you think this will help with water in the bilges?

Thanks,
Matthew

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: re-torquing keel bolts
« Reply #1 on: October 20 2024, 16:43 »
There is no need to re-torque keel bolts unless the nuts have been removed. The water you are getting in the bilge is unlikely to be coming up through the keel bolts. The keel is both glued and bolted to the hull. The only way water can get to the studs is if the seal between the hull and keel has failed. If there is no sign of any failure when inspected externally then leave the keel bolts alone. A further check internally is to create a dam around each bolt and wee if any water comes up. This should re-assure you.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: re-torquing keel bolts
« Reply #2 on: October 21 2024, 10:28 »
Don't touch them, unless you absolutely need to.

I can almost guarantee that the water is not coming through the keel bolts.

Every time you tighten them, you stretch them and weaken them. Leave well alone.