Author Topic: Seal for MD2020D water pump  (Read 894 times)

hollmanr

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 32
  • Boat Year: 2005
Seal for MD2020D water pump
« on: August 30 2024, 21:03 »
Hi, I need to replace the seal on my MD2020D (2005) water pump as I have a slow drip of seawater coming out. It looks like the Volvo partnumber for this seal is : 833996. I can get this part in a number of retailers (I'm based in Ireland and would use marineparts.ie) however these seals all look like after market ones, instead of genuine parts. I have read that for this seal it's better to order the genuine part as that includes a stainless steal spring, rather than a steel one as in the non genuine parts. My questions are : does anyone have experience with the after market seals and whether they will last ? Also, does anyone know where I can get a genuine seal ? I found a genuine with retailer "Keypart" but with shipping this would amount to over 60 euro.... Thanks !

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Seal for MD2020D water pump
« Reply #1 on: August 31 2024, 07:57 »
If you can establish the size of the old seal you can buy a viton seal[they are normally brown] They are only made with stainless springs and they last longer. Geoff

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Seal for MD2020D water pump
« Reply #2 on: August 31 2024, 09:33 »
There are no Volvo seals, they buy them from manufacturers of seals and stuff them in a plastic bag with a Volvo part number. The suppliers change throughout the years as well. Saildrive ones were from Stefa for a while.

So you just pick one with the right specs (size, material, stainless spring), which is what usually keypart/parts4engines do for you if you can't be bothered to do it yourself. Plenty of of online seal dealers around. Back when I needed one, they happily swapped the spring for a stainless one on request.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)