Author Topic: Insulation of vibration of water pump  (Read 2134 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Insulation of vibration of water pump
« on: August 11 2024, 14:32 »
Hi , the water pump of the tap water is mounted on the wall between the wc and the rear cabin . That makes it like a huge drum when it works . On another Bavaria is mounted on a piece of wood glued on the hull wall and makes zero sound .
Has anyone solved similar problem ? Should I move it on the hull or use a special material to mount it?

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
Re: Insulation of vibration of water pump
« Reply #1 on: August 13 2024, 07:02 »
Have you tried to remove the screws attaching the pump? Just to check the difference in noise.
If it is still loud, there’s little point in placing it elsewhere.
Mine is also loud…could be another type of pump on the other boat

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: August 13 2024, 09:38 »
Ours was mounted on rubber buffers with the screws going through them. Once I replaced it, it was much louder because I had tightened the screws too much, compressing the rubber buffers and stopping them from working. I undid the screws a couple turns and the buffers worked again and sound was like before. It also helped that the pump compartment was padded with small pieces of engine room noise insulation.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: August 13 2024, 22:47 »
I used some fairly thin neoprene and that helped appreciably.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

UP

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: August 14 2024, 19:31 »
There are, possibly, two components to the vibration:
1) The vibration of the membrane pump;
2) The clatter from the water pipes.

Here is what I did on my Bav47 cruiser:
1) I attached two lengths of about 3 cm diameter and 15 cm in length clear-braided garden hose across the feet of the pump and screwed the hose pieces to the toilet wall wooden plate. I saw this method used somewhere and it is a quick and cheap vibration dampener (see attached image of my present setup);
2) When the plumbing is semi-rigid, eg 15 mm push-fit tube like on my Bav47, then Jabsco officially recommends for the first 10-15 cm (a figure I invented) connections from the pump to be of a flexible water hose. This reduces vibration transmitting into the plumbing;
3) When the plumbing is semi-rigid, as above, then add cheap hardware store pipe insulation foam around the plumbing, especially near the pump. A lot of energy is carried in the plumbing by the oscillating water. The oscillation is brought about by the membranes in the pump and this can make the plumbing clatter against the wall of the boat.

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: August 21 2024, 05:42 »
Thanks for your info , I took also garden hose 2 pieces , screw then parallel on the wooden piece and then I screwed the pump on the hoses without penetrating till the wooden piece made a huge difference