Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Chain often skip

<< < (2/4) > >>

marioxp:
Thank you

JEN-et-ROSS:

--- Quote from: symphony2 on August 01 2024, 23:43 ---First the anchor is far too heavy for the boat. 16kg is norm although some might go up to 20kg if they are planning to anchor in extreme conditions. There is no benefit in having such a large anchor only negatives including putting far too much strain on the windlass. If it is the original windlass it is probably a Cayman with an 8mm gypsy that takes Lofrans chain.

--- End quote ---

We have the same windlass in the same or similar installation with a 25kg Lewmar Delta on 8mm chain (65m), and it never jumps off the gypsy... So it can't be weight, I would agree with Yngmar, it must be insufficient chain in contact with the gypsy..

Yngmar:
Found it - it was on PBO: https://www.pbo.co.uk/practical-projects/stop-chain-jumping-anchor-windlass-18946

Franck Bavaria:
DIN and ISO chains have from 10mm onwards slight differences in length that can make a huge difference in windlass efficiency under heavy loads: check a good match between gipsy and chain.

On mine, I found out when I bought my boat, in 15m deep waters, that chain (10mm ISO) and Gipsy (8mm ISO) were not matching, although it still had enough grip in shallow waters (!!). So I changed the gipsy for 10mm and happy life again.

JEN-et-ROSS:

--- Quote from: Franck Bavaria on August 04 2024, 16:04 ---DIN and ISO chains have from 10mm onwards slight differences in length that can make a huge difference in windlass efficiency under heavy loads: check a good match between gipsy and chain.

On mine, I found out when I bought my boat, in 15m deep waters, that chain (10mm ISO) and Gipsy (8mm ISO) were not matching, although it still had enough grip in shallow waters (!!). So I changed the gipsy for 10mm and happy life again.

--- End quote ---

I'm not really surprised, we have 30m and 35m of 8mm chain connected with two 'Wichard' shackles, they generally happily jump over the gypsy without too much drama...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version