Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Chain often skip

<< < (3/4) > >>

SYJetzt:
Maybe your gypsy and chain are not matching (you bought the wrong type of chain...?!?). For 10 mm chains, however, the pitch "t" (see drawing above) is different. In accordance with DIN the pitch is 28 mm, in accordance with ISO 30 mm. See attached picture.

sunshine:
The original quote said the chain falls completely off the gypsy. Is it falling off the side? The replies about calibrated chain not matching the gypsy are correct - but wouldn't they cause it to slip rather than come off altogether?

symphony2:

--- Quote from: SYJetzt on August 05 2024, 11:16 ---Maybe your gypsy and chain are not matching (you bought the wrong type of chain...?!?). For 10 mm chains, however, the pitch "t" (see drawing above) is different. In accordance with DIN the pitch is 28 mm, in accordance with ISO 30 mm. See attached picture.

--- End quote ---

Pretty sure from the photo it is a Lofrans Cayman88 with 8mm chain. That was the original factory fit with a 35 CQR copy anchor. The chain should be DIN766 which is almost universally available in Europe so unlikely it is the wrong calibration. However the gypsy may be worn and the poor chain lead does not help, neither does have an unsuitable overweight anchor.

Captain Jan:
There is good discussion here on possible reason for slippage However, when I bought my boat, there was 10mm chain on a 8mm gypsy. Incorrect chain to gypsy size appears common.

Viviane2000:
We had our chain slipping as well quite often. What helped reduce this amount by 95% and thus making it bearable was the two plastic bow rollers were the chain is running over before it hits the anchor winch.

The first roller (on the side of the anchor) had a shallow groove compared to the second roller (on the side of the winch). So when the chain was being retrieved the chain would not sit nicely on the first roller but it would tip side ways, looking from the front the chain links would look like / and \ instead of | and --. Sometimes the second roller could correct the chain links to the correct vertical and horizontal alignment so the winch had no problems. But especially retrieving the chain with some twists would make it slip the gypsy.

With a drill I deepend the groove on the first roller to the depth that one link can sit inside the groove vertical and the next link will sit horizontal, like it should and the same way the second roller was made.

I hope my explanation makes sense, if not I can add some pictures. I'm not sure if our bow roller is Bavaria factory or not. This works on our Bavaria 42 - 2000

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version