Author Topic: Bimini on Bavaria 36 (2002)  (Read 177 times)

Jasper71

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Bimini on Bavaria 36 (2002)
« on: June 26 2024, 22:02 »
Good day, I am following this forum allready for a while and this is my first topic and I woul like to ask you opinion about a Bimini.

We have a Bavaria 36 from 2002 and we would like to renew the sprayhood and a new Bimini.
When i speak to companies who makes them they give me different advices, but I would like to hear your experiences.

For the bimini I would prefer to sail with the bimini up. But sailing with the bimini up, the boom is so low (1,66 meter) that the bimini does not reach to over the sprayhood but there is a gap of 50cm. Is there an solution for when at anchor to extend the bimini over the sprayhood?

Do you suggest the bimine to go beyond the back stay? According the companies they prefer not to go beyond the back stay as this will cause  chafing to the bimini.

I am pleased to hear your comment, experiences and other recommendations.

Thanks, Jasper.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bimini on Bavaria 36 (2002)
« Reply #1 on: June 26 2024, 22:48 »
You can have a zip-on attachment for extending the thing forwards over the sprayhood, which is quite handy. You may also want to drop the sprayhood then for better airflow at anchor.

As for going past the backstays, that is indeed problematic, as it will also leak in the rain. The best solution I've seen is sewing in a little extra fabric cone that has a tie cord to snugly tie it to the backstays while still allowing independent movement of the bimini. Doesn't leak much and doesn't chafe.

All this is bespoke work that will cost you an arm and a leg to get made and you usually don't get exactly what you asked for. A sewing machine and some materials are usually a better deal in every way! :) A Singer Heavy Duty machine is completely sufficient for canvas work, you don't need an expensive Sailrite (but do watch their tutorials).

Post #5 here illustrates the cone: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/backstay-hole-in-the-bimini.183103/#post-1348483
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)