Author Topic: squeaking noise from rudder wheel pedestal  (Read 364 times)

jet42

• Cadet
squeaking noise from rudder wheel pedestal
« on: June 14 2024, 00:06 »
Hi
I have a Bavaria 39 Cruiser 2005 - and my rudder wheel / pedestal makes a lot of squeaking noise when steering - especially when the rudderwheel is around neutral- at sea as well as lying still in the harbour. I can´t really figure out where the noise comes from - but it is VERY annoying. Does anyone know what to look for ? I would also appreciate a drawing of how the rudder brake and steering mechanism is put together - if anyone has that as well.

Jesper  :)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: squeaking noise from rudder wheel pedestal
« Reply #1 on: June 14 2024, 07:55 »
If 2005 vintage 39 is anything like 2000 vintage 40, You can crawl in the rear cabin and take a look at the lazarette compartment by opening the latched door - this will reveal how the steering cables are connected to the quardant and rudder stock.

Same time at the rear cabin there is a removable cover plate up close to centerline - giving access to the steering cables and how they come down-and-back from the pedestal. Looking up to the pedestal with an mirror or a phone camera will give you the whole picture how the system works.

If, however the 2005 model is with tein wheels - I have no idea how you have visual access to these points

BR

Tommi
s/y Anniina

jet42

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: June 15 2024, 18:22 »
… Thanks for your reply Tommi - But I think I have found the “sinner” - take at the picture I have uploaded- not allowed to upload video with sound in this forum 😒 - it must be a ball bearing in this construction - not the quadrant - but a bearing behind the gear  . Jesper :)

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: June 15 2024, 21:03 »
Not sure which steering system your boat has, probably it's a Whitlock/Lewmar Cobra (rack & pinion) or Mamba (torque rod). There's different revisions of these, so you'll have to identify which one yours is, then you can order some replacement bearings for the steering wheel shaft.

Mamba manual: https://www.lewmar.com/sites/default/files/Mamba%20Steering%20Guide_web.pdf
Cobra manual: http://www.eddievan.com/documents/whitlock_cobra_steering.pdf
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

jet42

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: June 17 2024, 01:21 »
Hi Yngmar - thanks for your reply.

It is neither of the two you suggested - but it is a Cobra . I found a fine homepage, which covers a system close to what is installed in my boat - at least at the upper part of the pedestal : https://cghost.org/steering-pedestal-repairs/

- and I have written an email to Lewmar about which spareparts fits my system.

Jesper