Author Topic: Bavaria 47 cruiser deck hatch handles  (Read 339 times)

UP

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2001
Bavaria 47 cruiser deck hatch handles
« on: June 09 2024, 10:04 »
Hi,

I'm looking to replace some of my Bavaria 47 cruiser (2001) deck hatch handles. I've read that they should be Lewmar hatches (??), however when surfing through SVB24.com, these Gebo handles look 1:1 to what I have on the boat. Can someone confirm that this handle will fit the hatches of my sailboat make? Link here: https://www.svb24.com/en/gebo-handle-for-offshore-flushline-hatches.html

I've added some images of my hatch handles. Most of my handles are missing blue locking clips and pretty much all have the topside lug screwed in place with a small screw - obviously causing small leaks. The lug has probably come loose over time. Thanks!

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
Re: Bavaria 47 cruiser deck hatch handles
« Reply #1 on: June 09 2024, 12:56 »
They don't seem to be original. This is what I have on my boat.

UP

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: June 09 2024, 14:57 »
You have a much newer boat :D Mine is from 2001. I think they are original, as they look as old as any other part in the boat.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #3 on: June 09 2024, 21:47 »
These are Gebo hatches, which is easy to tell because you can see in your own photo that they have "Gebo" written on the aluminium frame  ;D

While it's good to have a set of spare handles aboard, usually if they're leaking you only need to replace the O-ring under the outer part, which eventually perishes from UV exposure. You can take the handles apart from the inside by poking a pin into the small hole in the handle, depressing the blue latch retainer so the latch slides out all the way, revealing the screw that joins inner and outer part.

Gebo hatches are original to boats of that age and you're lucky to have them.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

UP

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: June 10 2024, 07:49 »
Thank you Yngmar for the confirm! I see the text Gebo nowhere, you have a very sharp eye :D

Indeed I did discover the shot O-rings, however due to the screwed on topside lugs, some of the handles are quite broken and leaky, plus missing the blue locking thingy. I could 3D print those, of course... but some are so broken that I'll replace them with new ones.

BTW - why is it that I'm lucky to have Gebo hatches?

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: June 11 2024, 07:10 »
BTW - why is it that I'm lucky to have Gebo hatches?
Because the Gebo ones are much sturdier than the cheap made lewmar stuff of the newer models