Author Topic: MD22L - replacing fresh water (circulation) pump  (Read 270 times)

mibbal

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
MD22L - replacing fresh water (circulation) pump
« on: June 11 2024, 13:43 »
Hi Folks,

I need to replace fresh water pump because it started to drip coolant, I can see green drops on oil filter which I guess it clear sign...

Manual says that cam belt cover should be removed, and I need to remove all pulleys for this which is not easy.
I found a reference that just loosing bolts of the cam belt cover might be enough:

https://forums.ybw.com/threads/md22-volvo-fresh-water-pump-replacement.302381/post-3354426

Dis anyone manages to replace the pump without removing of all the pulleys?

jeffatoms2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
Re: MD22L - replacing fresh water (circulation) pump
« Reply #1 on: June 12 2024, 14:31 »
This repair should be done in a timely manner.  The previous owner of our Bavaria 38 Ocean ignored it for far too long and the salt water dripping on the hot engine caused secondary corrosion issues. That ultimately lead to having the engine removed.  Ouch!  We opted to buy the full replacement pump from Volvo so that I could rebuild it myself and have a ready to go spare  7 years later, the leaky pump is still sitting on my desk as I write this.

mibbal

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: MD22L - replacing fresh water (circulation) pump
« Reply #2 on: June 12 2024, 14:37 »
Thank, jeffatoms2, but it my case this is fresh water pump, and not the sea water pump :)

Ok, if nobody managed to do this w/o removing the pulleys, so maybe anyone had experience with removing crankshaft pulley?