Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Cockpit recaulking - how to deal with edge seam near gelcoat?

(1/2) > >>

mibbal:
Hello Mates,

I'm preparing for complete recaulking of my teak cockpit with TDS SIS440.

Any experience based advise on how to do seam at the edge, between last teak plank and gelcoat (as shown on attached picture)?

I understand how to deal with seams between planks, but this one on edge is a bit tricky for me since is would not be possible to sand it.
Should I use finger or special putty knife (for bathroom silicone) to form the seam?
Can I remove SIS440  (when not cured) from gelcoat with acetone?

Yngmar:
Masking tape and finger if you want a concave seam, or a wooden stick if you want straight. White spirit should be sufficient, acetone probably not ideal. Have a big bucket/cardboard box with bin liner and brick in the bottom to toss in the masking tape without dripping everywhere.

Then don't step into it. Good luck!

Ailatan:
Acetone also worked for me.
Take into account that TDS SIS440 shrink a lot so even if you use a straight tool you will finish with a concave shape

Odysseus:
I agree white spirit is good for cleaning, not as aggressive as acetone. However i used CTI sealent, i find it does not melt in hot sum.

Odysseus
Bav38

mibbal:
Thanks Folks for the advises!

Should I sand after removing old caulking (before applying new one)? In some sources it is recommended to do so, but I'm not sure why. I guess sanding before application of new caulking may help to make surface smooth. Any suggestions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version