Member Forums > Modifications & Equipment

Repower Bavaria 33 Cruiser

(1/3) > >>

Cabtrack:
Hi All
       Just wondering if anyone has upgraded there 20hp motor on a Bavaria 33 cruiser to a 30ph. If so was it worth it or not.

symphony2:
Assume you have a D1 20. Fitting a D1 30 would be straightforward, but really not necessary. The 20 starts to struggle when displacement exceeds 5 tonnes (your boat is around 4 tonnes) and the limitations are mostly to do with performance at 6 knots+ in heavy conditions. If the engine is in good condition difficult to justify spending £6k+ (UK prices) on a new engine. If the engine is shot then different question as the marginal cost of the bigger engine is small.

Cabtrack:
HI SYMPHONY2
                     We are on the heavy side and have a larger alternator. We have found we now struggle to do 6 knots. It really struggles in any chop or head wind.

symphony2:
The alternator does not make much difference in normal running. You should be able to get 7 knots in flat water with the standard propeller. The displacements I quoted are based on design displacement and engine/prop sizing makes allowance for the extra weight of cruising gear, usually in the region of 800-1000kgs. I don't remember your model ever being offered with the D1 30, although later and heavier 33/34 footers were. I had a 2015 B33 (5500kgs) with a D1 30 that comfortably exceeded hull speed 7.4knots

Just to double check - is your engine a 2020 or a Di 30? as 2005 was the changeover year for engines. The newer engine already has a 115A alternator compared with the 65A of the 2020. What type and size of propeller do you have? as this can make a difference to performance.

Cabtrack:
The motor is a 2020 the prop is a 3 blade folding on 130s saildrive

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version