Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Cleaning the heat exchanger of a Volvo D2-55

(1/2) > >>

Ailatan:
My next DIY project will be to clean the heat exchanger and the exhaust elbow.
I wouldn't like to spend too much time due to I don't have the right tool or waiting for the replacement so I first read the operator's manual, then I watched I don't know how many youtube videos and finally I have been looking to my own engine and trying to unscrew some of the screws to be sure they are not stuck.
In this first preliminary phase two doubts arose:
First one is how to open the tap under the heat exchanger. According with the manual to empty the fresh water circuit I need to unscrew a square head bolt on the starboard side and a tap under the heat exchanger, and here is the doubt. I unscrewed the lower part keeping fixed the upper part that seems never has been removed. Then I opened the cap of the coolant deposit but no coolant came out.
Second doubt is the MDI box. One of the fixing point is broken. I was thinking on removing all the electronic and cables and take it to someone to weld an aluminium plate because I haven't found just the empty box. Any suggestions will be welcome.
By the way is the Workshop manual available somewhere?

Ailatan:
The workshop manual is in another thread of this forum. Just in case someone is interested

primozk:
I have a MD2030 is probably similar. Doing the last change of the coolant i removed the pipe going to the warm water heater and got the coolant out of the system so i could remove the tube at the heat exchanger. I've seen youtube from https://boatingwiththebaileys.com/toolbox-talks in one he removed the square bolt and in a 2nd video he's sucking out the coolant with a pump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnNnjwLJaQY (i might try this method next time as it's cleaner)

Ailatan:
Thanks Primozk for the links. I didn't know that channel an found quite interesting.

Coming back to my project I found that to open the tap at the bottom of the heat exchanger you only need to unscrew the lower part. The problem was that there were some deposits of old coolant that was plugging the tap so I insert a wire and when the deposits were removed the coolant started flowing

Ailatan:
Does anyone know what material the heat exchanger is made of?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version