Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

starter battery charging to 15volts

(1/5) > >>

john102345:
Hi everyone
Having a few problems with my charging setup.

On a recent trip north from Plymouth to Largs my Bavaria 301 panel started to alarm read 15.0 volts for the starter battery & my Volvo EVC at the helm came up with the battery warning symbol.
The house bank was all fine as we were using quite a lot of nav gear & running lights etc.

I first suspected the Alternator voltage regulator so changed the Alternator for a new Parts4engines one same as before 115amp version
after going out for a run for 20 mins at 2000 revs the 301 panel threw the same battery voltage alarm 15.0 volts

So I tested the starter battery & it is the original Banner battery from the first commissioning 2011 the state of condition read at 61%
So ordered & fitted a new starter battery like for like lead acid 95amp hr 720 cranking amps.

Took her out on Saturday for a run & after running for 20 minutes at 2000 revs she alarmed again at 15 volts on the 301 panel & at the EVC helm panel as soon as took off the revs the alarm would drop off.
I took out my multimeter while the alarm was running & the starter battery read 14.9 - 15 volts so same as the 301 panel ( thought it may be a panel reading slightly out)

So now a bit stumped, can anyone suggest a route forward, please?
bit of a novice with electrical & had the alternator professionally fitted I fitted the new battery.

The boat is a 2011 Bavaria 36 cruiser with a 95amp hr starter battery & 420 amps of AGM house bank 3 x 140 Exide's all 3 were fitted in 2022, did not have any issues before we put just under 100 hours on the engine for the trip. Total engine hours on the clock is as of 06/11/2023 is 599

Just a new note I can confirm before I had the 15v warning my Alternator belt was not tight enough so I had belt dust on the engine & could not adjust the adjustor as it was not there physically I think it was removed at not refitted for some reason (not me) when we fitted the new alternator we fitted a brand new belt & replaced the adjustment body so nice & tight within spec.

Thanks

Krumelur:
Been there, done that :-)

Diode splitter broken. One diode of it, to be more specific.

This low-cost part acts as a drop-in replacement: https://www.victronenergy.de/battery-isolators-and-combiners/cyrix-battery-combiner-kit

And here's the full thread when I had this issue: https://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php/topic,3767.msg24336.html

sunshine:
Might be the yellow sense wire - did you have any problems with it when fitting the new alternator?

tiger79:

--- Quote from: Krumelur on November 06 2023, 16:58 ---
Diode splitter broken. One diode of it, to be more specific.

--- End quote ---

No, if that was the case, there'd have been no charge to the house bank.

Much more likely is a disconnected sensing wire.

Krumelur:
Given the poster's input I would not rule out the battery isolator.
"The house bank was all fine as we were using quite a lot of nav gear & running lights etc." does not indicate that the aux battery was being charged, but neither that it was not.
Wouldn't the house bank deliver power just fine for an extended period of time? After all, that's what its job is.
What we don't know is what the voltage of the house bank is when the issue occurs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version