Author Topic: Winter Storage for 2006 Bavaria 46 Cruiser  (Read 3787 times)

Danmark

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Winter Storage for 2006 Bavaria 46 Cruiser
« on: October 15 2013, 07:59 »
I live in a very cold winter climate in Ukraine 60 miles up river from the Black Sea.

My Owners manual states to "Winterize" the fresh water systems, but I do not have any reference material regarding this process.

I know that anti-freeze is used.

1>  Do I just put a few liters (30 per tank) and pump it into the fresh water systems, using the boats fresh water pump?

2>  What is the process for re-installing fresh water into the system in the spring?
Do I use alcohol to clean out the anti-freeze... in the same process as putting in the anti-freeze.  I know that alcohol will clean out the anti-freeze, yes?

Toilets also should have anti-freeze pumped into them, what about the salt water intake for the toilets?

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Winter Storage for 2006 Bavaria 46 Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: October 15 2013, 09:19 »
Put "antifreeze into the search box   "  on the home page there is lots of information there, also use alcohol based antifreeze for the drinking water system.

Disconnect the water pump pipes each side all easy to do.

Hope this helps
Odysseus
Odysseus

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 15 2013, 19:04 »
Don't put antifreeze in your fresh water tanks. Drain them using the pump and disconnect the fittings from the pump. Also drain the hot water calorifier. Small amounts of water in tanks freezing is not a problem, but damage is more likely in taps and showerheads so leave them open. In the spring reconnect everything, refill with water and the pump will automatically prime the circuits.

cheshire

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav34
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: November 08 2013, 22:12 »
Here is the answer with pictures:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/water_system_winterizing
What is the name of your candy? I'm from Ukraine too :) But moored in Croatia. Here is not so cold during the winter (near +5 but sometimes it could be up to -5 during few days). But mechanic here told me to winterized fresh water system too as well as engine,,  And I'm still thinking about this. And also about genoa - is it necessary to take it off or to wear a sock will be enough,,