Author Topic: Bavaria internal cabin door latches  (Read 1457 times)

gasdave

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Bavaria internal cabin door latches
« on: August 13 2023, 15:36 »
As it's been a while since this topic was last discussed, I thought it simpler to start anew. There is some very helpful information and guidance on how to repair broken latches/springs in the earlier topic and I was hoping I could successfully fix my heads latch by following that. There are also some useful videos on YT.
So I arrived at the boat last night primed to replace my broken door handle spring today - spare springs already purchased using the above help. However I ran into problem no. 1 within about 1 minute. The two screws which go through the door from the "accent" plate (I think it's called) on the inside to the escutcheon plate on the outside just spin freely and can't be extracted.When I turn them I can feel the outside ends of their respective retaining studs spinning. I believe this is most likely because the screws have been over-tightened at some point in the past, snapping the studs off their plate. When I remove the escutcheon plate the studs are left behind in the door. Trying to grip the exposed ends of the stud inside the door is impossible.
Hence I'm unable to get the lock mechanism out of the door.

So my question is: what are my best options at this point?
Will I need to drill the studs out? Would that even be possible? Or am I best to try to knock them through to the back with their screws inside them and remove them from that side?

Thank you in advance.

David

I know I am now looking at an entire replacement lock but I don't want to order that until I know I've got this old one extracted.

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Bavaria internal cabin door latches
« Reply #1 on: August 14 2023, 08:37 »
Nimm einen dremel und mach einen Schlitz rein.
Oder wie ich es mache die Platte leicht Hebeln und so Spannung darauf geben. Bei mir reicht das immer