Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Bav 30 battery charging

(1/2) > >>

Bavnav:
Hi.
We have just bought our Bav. 30 (2006). I was told by a marine engineer to turn the 240v. shore supply off at the switch board when I leave the boat for the week and return the following weekend (safer). However, if I do that, will the batteries charge. If they are on charge will they stop charging when fully charged?
What do most people do?

Symphony:
If it is a proper marine charger it will switch off when the batteries are fully charged. Discharge if you are not using the boat is very low, but it should switch on again to keep full charge. However, unless you are a heavy user of power without running the engine when out cruising your batteries should be near fully charged, so no need to run the mains charger when you are not there. Better to use a small solar panel to keep the house battery bank topped up. The charger's main use is when you are on the boat, using power and not running the engine, for example in an overnight stop in a marina.

Trapeze Artist:
+1.

I very rarely use my shore power except in winter when I need it to power the dehumidifier. So generally, that is one less thing to do when going out or getting home, and less risk of galvanic corrosion eating my anodes.

Some of the next few weekends may be exceptions as I will probably appreciate being able to run a fan heater while on board.

Ripster:
Like others, we use shorepower when there on the boat and a hook up is available.  When we leave the boat, except in the warmer months, no SP is left connected - no need as we are not running anything and if you have decent batts, they will be fine for 2-3 weeks say or longer without a boost.  In winter of course Nov to Feb (south UK) SP is connected thus charging the batts by default (via a smart charger) and to run the frost heaters.

MIA:
Marinas have an RCD fitted at each shore power point and your boat should have an RCD installed as well, if you have a splitter diode then the batteries should charge evenly, my boat has a battery monitoring system and all RCD protection, I go away for at least 4 weeks at a time (work overseas) and have had the shore power on and off and have no problems with any equipment, even the batteries have had enough charge never been less that 11.8V on any of them. I turn off the battery main isolator normally when I leave to avoid draining if theres any earth leaks on the 12VDC side. Even if you do go to the boat and the battery is below normal voltage you can charge it by the shore power.

Stevie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version