Author Topic: Teak deck renewal  (Read 7522 times)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Teak deck renewal
« Reply #25 on: April 12 2023, 20:31 »
I'd caution against oiling teak - it attracts dirt and is difficult to keep looking good.  The best stuff I've found is Semco Teak Sealer ( https://www.semco-online.com/semco-sealer-2-c.asp ).  I use the Natural colour, which doesn't seem too artificial.  It lasts quite well.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #26 on: April 12 2023, 21:14 »
Have to agree on Semco sealer! Keeps the deck non-gray and avoids all the trouble with oil based products like burning black under sun/UV.

Easy to apply on washed or sanded teak

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #27 on: July 24 2023, 08:41 »
I haven't finished the whole boat as I still need to replace the cockpit floor but I would like to share some pictures

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #28 on: July 24 2023, 09:14 »
I haven't finished the whole boat as I still need to replace the cockpit floor but I would like to share some pictures

That looks good!  You must be very satisfied with your work.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #29 on: July 25 2023, 06:32 »
Yes, I am really happy but it has taken a lot of time.
Also I have learned a lot in the process.
One of the things I learned is that if you use the TDS SIS 440 this product shrink a lot when it cures, so you shouldn't use the system I applied with masking tape on the sides of the seams because the seam finish 1mm lower than the rest of the deck and the water and dirt remains there.
The problem is specially big in the joint of the deck and the sides of the cabin or the toerail because the caulking became very irregular and you have to repeat several times.
So, if you want to use this product, you should use their method and spend a lot of product and a lot of money. Also, you will need to sand a lot reducing the thickness of the deck.
Finally, if someone is interested in recaulking his deck, he should consider applying a cheap MS35 caulking, because the result is the same.
I have to take a picture of an area where I applied both products and I doubt you could guess which seams are filled with one product or the other.
Meanwhile a picture of the problems of the sides I tried to explain

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: July 26 2023, 06:14 »
Amazing work ! You have me lots of motivation to start similar project (ours doesn’t have teak deck around the deck only cockpit ).
I d Ike to share a project we did our selves with many faults though but functional . We hide the lines going to the mast with teak decking . Gave more usable space !
How much the material cost?

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #31 on: July 26 2023, 06:36 »
How much the material cost?

I really don't know.
What I know is that the regular MS35 stuff is 1/3 of the price of the TDS SIS 440.

I started using the MS35 when the local distributor of TDS told me that they didn't have white caulking in stock and I had to wait a few weeks.

Elias, your project looks great. Looking forward for more information