Author Topic: Coaxial wire connectors ( one wire thick or thinner)  (Read 1219 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Hi
Connectors were corroded and had to cut one off; the one to the aerial up the mast.  The other, male connector was in good condition
Can anyone help me find a replacement connector, most are for the thinner coaxial cable, not thicker to thinner wire
I ve enclosed a photo, before they were removed,  the e on the thicker wire side has no corrosion.  The thinner wire one had to be cut off
Thanks

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Coaxial wire connectors ( one wire thick or thinner)
« Reply #1 on: May 08 2023, 20:42 »
Those are standard TNC connectors. Can buy them online or at any well stocked chandlery. Always solder, never rely on tiny little brass screws. Cover in silicone grease before closing up to prevent corrosion.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: May 09 2023, 23:24 »
Thanks, hopefully I am able to solder things as no extra cable to pull down from below the mast.  Do these connectors accept different cable sizes like I have?

SorinCT

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C36
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: May 10 2023, 11:34 »
Make sure your soldering and connections are spot on, otherwise you will suffer from lossy reception and high VSWR. It's a common problem that pests boaters all the time. Take your time and make sure connections are clean and tight.