Author Topic: Question on wiring windlass  (Read 1724 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Question on wiring windlass
« on: April 01 2023, 18:54 »
I am trying to understand this .
On the motor of the windlass there 3 bolts , 2 positive and one negative right . When up is pressed then the one positive cable is active and when down then the other right ? On my multimeter attached on that 3 nuts , I get reading of voltage in both up and down on operation  🤔 am I missing something ? In my mind it should get a 12v reading between common negative and let’s say UP positive cable and on the other cable zero , or not ?
The windlass work fine

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
Re: Question on wiring windlass
« Reply #1 on: April 08 2023, 21:35 »
I think you have this.  Remember, the solenoid controls which of the positive terminals is "electrified" when either the up or down switch is activated. 

I just completed the install on a Lewmar V1.  As I recall the center is black, neg DC and leads back to the battery bus bar and the other two windlass posts are the positive 12 VDC coming from the solenoid (aka, high power switch).  The solenoid has one positive 12 VDc coming "in" from the dedicated high amperage breaker and two red outputs to the corresponding open up or down posts on the windlass body.  There are lower amperage switch control wires on the solenoid used to activate up and down but the thick wires are the positive high amperage power leads for either the up or the down terminal posts on your windlass.

Hope that helps.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: April 09 2023, 09:44 »
Assuming a Lofrans Cayman, the three electric terminals on the windlass motor work like you described. There's a common negative and two positives. One for up, one for down. The control box (which is just a big two pole relais) switches the battery positive to either one of those poles.

So when you put a multimeter between negative and UP positive, you should see a voltage (probably about 10-11V depending on your cabling and windlass load) while the UP button is pushed. And vice versa for DOWN.

There's a wiring diagram for all of this in the manual. Beware, the manual covers multiple models, so make sure you look at the right diagram (for Cayman, not Atlas).
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: April 10 2023, 05:50 »
Hi Lofrans tigres, is mine .
So what I figured is that ,yes central negative , left right positive . BUT I am trying to use it as a command to a wiper motor for chain anti pile …it seems that the both positive bridge together through the motor (my knowledge is not enough to completely understand what is going on inside with the armature windings ) so even if I press down either up the result is the same between the side bolts of the motor . I get voltage in both . So I have one command.