Author Topic: Bavaria 46 Cruiser - serious saloon window crack  (Read 1722 times)

John O Hara

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 46 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Bavaria 46 Cruiser - serious saloon window crack
« on: February 13 2023, 20:45 »
Hi all,

I have a hard working 2002 46 Cruiser. A crack has appeared in the starboard saloon window. The crack is in both the inside and outside Perspex, I imagine caused through hull flexing. Ive put some tape on it to stop rainwater entering but obviously I need to replace or repair this asap.

The outside Perspex is just over 3m long. The inner window is split between that in the saloon and that in the forward heads.

Can I repair it ?

If i need to replace it where can I source the parts ?

Thanks for your advice.

John

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Re: Bavaria 46 Cruiser - serious saloon window crack
« Reply #1 on: February 14 2023, 17:44 »
Given the innate flexibility of Perspex I can't imagine a hull moving sufficiently to crack it, glass yes...
(Sounds by your description that the window is double glazed...??)
Could a small crack have been present at the edge of the Perspex during manufacture and eventually spread suddenly down the window...??

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: February 14 2023, 18:14 »

(Sounds by your description that the window is double glazed...??)

I don't think it is.  As far as I'm aware it's just a single layer of some sort of plastic.

John O Hara

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 46 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 14 2023, 18:18 »
Thanks for your responses. Definitely a double layer of perspex. On the exterior is a single window just over 3m long. On the interior there’s a large inner window in the saloon and a smaller one in the starboard forward heads.

I agree it started with a small scratch / crack that extended.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 14 2023, 18:40 »
Thanks for your responses. Definitely a double layer of perspex. On the exterior is a single window just over 3m long. On the interior there’s a large inner window in the saloon and a smaller one in the starboard forward heads.

My 2014 Cruiser 37 has a similar window design.  There's only one layer of plastic glazing on the outside of the hull.  The window frames on the inside make it look like there are separate windows.  If you doubt this, look at how the opening port is fixed - does this look like there are 2 layers of plastic?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 14 2023, 21:58 »
My 33 was the same. Just one thickness bonded to the coachroof sides. Expect the whole panel will need replacing. Suggest you contact a Bavaria dealer or the factory for the procedure for replacing the panel.