Author Topic: Bav 40: Where's the electric windlass fuse?  (Read 2446 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
Bav 40: Where's the electric windlass fuse?
« on: June 15 2022, 20:38 »
As I'm compiling a cheat sheet for other sailors, I'm reading through my boat's manual and fail to find the location of the windlass fuse.
Where is it? I think I remember seeing it to the right of the battery charger behind the cushions.
Is it a melting fuse or a breaker switch?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bav 40: Where's the electric windlass fuse?
« Reply #1 on: June 15 2022, 20:57 »
On our boat it's a big NH type fuse behind the first cushion of the starboard settee backrest, next to the main fuse.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 15 2022, 21:10 »
Hm, I think I remember seeing a fuse like this in the box with the spare parts.
Well...something to check next time I'm there, unless another owner can help?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 15 2022, 21:12 »
Same on my boat, an NH-type fuse.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 16 2022, 08:13 »
I guess then it'll be the same on mine. I'll just go ahead and document it like this and double check next time I'm back in Italy *sigh...8 weeks without my baby :-)*

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #5 on: December 11 2022, 23:03 »
This is a very helpful thread as it is timely to my windlass replacement. After testing the two Bussman Buss MRCB breakers I suspected might work with my previous Simpson Lawrance Spirit 1000 windlass and realizing I really need to complete anexhaustive electrical diagram for my boat, I found this post.  Yes, like your images, I too have the NC fuses ahead of the nav station on the starboard side asYngmar indicated - THANK YOU!

I intend to replace the 100 amp fuse with the 100 amp breaker that came with the new Lewmar V1 windlass.  I'll admit my ignorance having been a little intimidated by the schematic process, I don't know that the bigger center NC fuse is for nor do I know what the right side Bussman 60a fuse breaker is for.  Humbly, I ask if you might help me with my greater understanding.

Thanks in advance!

Krumelur

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 12 2022, 06:40 »
Meanwhile I checked my installation. My windlass is an automatic breaker, much like the one you have, but with 100A (my windlass is a "Quick").
Thinking about it, this makes a whole lot of sense. Sometimes, the anchor would be stuck and you'd want the fuse to engage but then be able to quickly recover without exchanging it. My suspicion is that the 60A auto breaker would be for the windlass on your boat. Turn it off and try operating the windlass, and you'll know.

The two regular breakers could then be for housing (125A) and the autopilot (100A). Follow the wiring and let us know.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: December 12 2022, 08:52 »
I'll admit my ignorance having been a little intimidated by the schematic process, I don't know that the bigger center NC fuse is for nor do I know what the right side Bussman 60a fuse breaker is for.

I would suspect someone added a new windlass (including the Buss MRCB) and didn't remove the old cabling.
To check the assignment of the fuses simply remove (or trip) it and look which function is missing.....
The two big NH-type fuses can be drawn easily by pulling on the t-shaped extensions next to the ceramic body with a plier.

and the autopilot (100A).
The autopilot usually doesn't require such huge fuses.
Usually Bavaria fitted the 125A fuse for the house bank, and the 100A fuse for the windlass. 

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: December 13 2022, 09:53 »
This is a very helpful thread as it is timely to my windlass replacement. After testing the two Bussman Buss MRCB breakers I suspected might work with my previous Simpson Lawrance Spirit 1000 windlass and realizing I really need to complete anexhaustive electrical diagram for my boat, I found this post.  Yes, like your images, I too have the NC fuses ahead of the nav station on the starboard side asYngmar indicated - THANK YOU!

I intend to replace the 100 amp fuse with the 100 amp breaker that came with the new Lewmar V1 windlass.  I'll admit my ignorance having been a little intimidated by the schematic process, I don't know that the bigger center NC fuse is for nor do I know what the right side Bussman 60a fuse breaker is for.  Humbly, I ask if you might help me with my greater understanding.

Thanks in advance!
original fitting would be the 100amp fuse for the windlass, the 125 amp for your main distribution board, the 60 amp one i don't know what its for, do you have bow thruster or as previously said may have been to replace the windlass

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #9 on: December 15 2022, 20:19 »
Thanks all who have commented.  Yes,the 100 amp is for the windlass and I'll assume the 125 is the main breaker panel.  I tested the 60 amp on the hydronic cabin heater and the bilge pump, neither of which seem to be fused, and came up empty.  Also I tested against the navigation equipment, including the auto-pilot and everything worked fine while it was tripped.

So it's a mystery that will require an actual line trace, though it had a #2 sticker on it?? 

Meanwhile, I'll replace the hard fuse on the windlass as the new Lewmar V1came with a dedicated breaker and I suppose that will yield a spare100 amp fuse for the distribution panel.

Thanks again for the suggestions and guidance.  I'm a better boat owner because of all of you.