Author Topic: Are these stock Lewmar handles from Bavaria?  (Read 2463 times)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Are these stock Lewmar handles from Bavaria?
« on: December 02 2022, 21:04 »
I think the acrylic must have been crazed so the previous owner must replaced it. Are these the standard handles or is this some custom affair? They are kind of leaking and slipping around, so I need to do something with these. Replacing all the hatches might bankrupt me 🤪

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Are these stock Lewmar handles from Bavaria?
« Reply #1 on: December 02 2022, 21:43 »
Not original - someone lost/broke the outer part and improvised it with a washer. The normal one has a groove for an o-ring. You can buy just the handle parts, although it may still bankcrupt you! https://www.svb-marine.es/es/lewmar-handle-for-the-ocean-hatch-10-20-by-lewmar.html
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: December 05 2022, 20:51 »
I think that that handle is for the smaller Lewmar hatch which is glued to the acrylic but, apparently, the handle fell off and he/she fixed with a piece of steel on the outer side and a screw through the handle and the steel part.
Can you take a picture of the whole hatch so we can see the size?

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: December 05 2022, 21:56 »
On my boat there are handles like this, with an ellipse grip, but your acrylic has a round indentation.

My acrylic was broken, and the service technician ordered a new one, the new one comes without handles, since the handles are glued, they literally tore them off from old acrylic, after removal, very hard glue remains on the handles, and because of this, the handles cannot fit into the indentation on the acrylic, because of this, service technicians drill the acrylic and put a longer screw to hold it. The problem is that then the base of the handle starts to turn and eventually screw off. I finally took off the handle, sanded off the glue so it could fit into the indentation, apply some epoxy glue, but also returned the screw, because there is a hole in the acrylic.

I think you will have to replace either the handles or the acrylic, in order to graze each other. You can try grinding the base of the handle so that it fits into the indentation in the acrylic, and then glue with epoxy and put the screw back. It is important to put butyl or some sealant around the screw. There are two places where water can enter, around the screw (a small amount) or if the handle does not tighten gasket enough, between the gasket and the frame (probably more water).

Mario

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #4 on: December 14 2022, 04:45 »
MagicalArmchair and Mario, if you refer to an article I wrote about crazed portlights and hatches a couple of years ago, and in it I referred to a two part acrylic adhesive known as MA300. This is available through ebay, and it will successfully stick those handles to your acrylic hatches. If you go to the section on Modifications and Equipment and type into the search bar Crazed portlights and hatches, it will take you to the article and the reference to that adhesive.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
« Reply #5 on: December 14 2022, 23:07 »
Thank you all! I will try to take my portlights apart and refashion the modifications.