Author Topic: Anchor Locker Leak  (Read 1931 times)

HawkPack

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 36
  • Boat Year: 2011
Anchor Locker Leak
« on: November 13 2022, 03:32 »
Hi All

New owner of a 2011 Cruiser 36 located in SE Asia.

I have a leak up forward where water is collecting in the section aft of the fwd water tank. I checked the outlet of the tank which seems to be ok and the tank is holding water. This is when I realised that it only seemed to be happening when it rained. After removing the panel fwd in the V berth, I stuck paper towel to the usual suspects with the only culprit being from the bottom stbd corner of the anchor locker. I removed the anchor and chain and covered the area with a tarp to stop any rain water ingress and haven't had any water entering the V berth. So, I am thinking that rain water is getting into the locker and that there is a small crack somewhere at the bottom of the locker.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am very welcome of any thoughts and ideas as to possible fixes. At the moment, I cannot get to the bottom of the locker without any major dismantling and there is no way from external, my thoughts are to clean out the locker as best I can and maybe pour some resin in there to make a false bottom and hopefully seal where the entry point is.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Anchor Locker Leak
« Reply #1 on: November 13 2022, 11:04 »
At the moment, I cannot get to the bottom of the locker without any major dismantling and there is no way from external, my thoughts are to clean out the locker as best I can and maybe pour some resin in there to make a false bottom and hopefully seal where the entry point is.

That would probably work.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: November 13 2022, 11:25 »
Where is the water filler hose for the tank located? I have no idea what the arrangement is on your boat, but on ours, that's the water got in between the filler and breather hoses (which end in the anchor locker), and the migrated underneath the tank. Sealing the area where the hoses enter the anchor locker fixed the leak.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

HawkPack

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 36
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 13 2022, 13:20 »
Thanks for the responses.
The water fill is next to the windlass (not sure whether it goes through or if it's external to the locker, I will check when next onboard) and the vent does enter high up on the port side of the locker. I had the paper towel around both hoses and they both stayed dry.

After checking, the water fill point is next to the windlass under the anchor locker hatch. The fill hose does not go through the anchor locker. It enters directly behind the actual locker.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: November 14 2022, 09:35 »
We had a hidden crack on the hose barb on the top side of the forward tank. It leaked only when the tank was filled to full and when boat was heeling with full tank.

semaphore

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: November 17 2022, 19:56 »
Where is the water filler hose for the tank located? I have no idea what the arrangement is on your boat, but on ours, that's the water got in between the filler and breather hoses (which end in the anchor locker), and the migrated underneath the tank. Sealing the area where the hoses enter the anchor locker fixed the leak.

and the bulkhead down there does not like water behind it. I suspect the foam in completely soaked.  I don't think it will ever dry out on its own, but replacing the bulkhead seems like a ton of work for not much gain.