Author Topic: engine warning on throttle back  (Read 1143 times)

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
engine warning on throttle back
« on: August 27 2022, 09:20 »
hi all, has anyone had this happen, we had been running back in at about 2200rpm for about 15 min then when we throttled back (went straight to tick over) there was a warning buzzer on, wife was driving so I didn't see what the warning was for, raised the revs up to about 800 and all ok again ,plenty water coming out of the exhaust and not steaming.my initial thought was blocked exhaust water inlet or lack of flow but I would have thought it would take longer to show up as the cooling water would have to get over hot to put the warning on. it was an instant effect of lower revs and was on for about 5 seconds before I brought the revs up a bit.
any ideas ?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: engine warning on throttle back
« Reply #1 on: August 27 2022, 09:44 »
Probably the alternator ceasing to charge at low revs. 800 is a bit low and the sort of revs when it kicks in. Raise the revs as you did and the warning stops. Highly unlikely to be overheat.

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
« Reply #2 on: August 28 2022, 13:33 »
that makes sense, I thought it was to quick of a reaction to be overheat, will keep an eye on it for now, cheers
Phil

Daryl28

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 29 2022, 08:24 »
Ours does that all the time. At first I was really concerned, but if you look at display in the tachometer you will see a battery symbol displayed whilst the audible alarm is still sounding. Push the button on the left of the EVC, immediately below the button that turns on the ignition and buzzing will stop. The alarm is just a warning to let you know that there is enough charge going into the batteries from the alternator. If it stops when the revs are increased then you have nothing to worry about. Atb Daryl.

Captain Jan

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #4 on: September 03 2022, 21:02 »
These comments are all helpful and may well cover the issue, but I did experience alarms due to a lube oil issue once, so perhaps consider this;
Consider the possibility of the higher temperature of the engine under load giving a lower fluid viscosity to the engine oil. As the engine is slowed, lube oil pump also slowed,   in turn giving a lower- perhaps too low- lube oil pressure hence alarm. As engines age, routine lube oil pressure becomes less ,  so an older engine with slightly low oil pressure under load & in use can become too low as the lube oil pump slows with drop in rpm combined with hot oil causing  alarm (or shutdown) .  A lightly fouled prop can cause a slightly higher engine/oil  temperature that could conceivably have a similar affect.  If the issue is lube oil based, re check the lube oil used against engine recommendations, change the oil due to possibility of incorrect oil, oil contamination or oil age causing viscosity issues. The electric oil sensor alarm terminals can become corroded so these should be cleaned & checked, perhaps change the sensor or lastly rebuild the engine.  But of course your alarm may be something else completely!

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #5 on: September 04 2022, 09:49 »
The stator needs to be excited to enable it to function,  its usually 1400 revs in a car, however a yellow lead is sometimes fitted that supplies the power to it also, this yellow wire sometimes runs the rev counter. Depends on manufacturer.

A Volvo will need about 1200 RPM to excite the stator. So blip the revs and it will start charging again.

Odysseus
Odysseus