Author Topic: Holding Tank  (Read 1280 times)

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Holding Tank
« on: August 30 2022, 19:58 »
I have a slight weep from the bottom fitting of my holding tank and I am not sure if it is the brass insert or the pipe. Does anyone know if the inserts is screwed into the holding tank or is it moulded into the tank during production. I do not want to disturb it  until I know the best way to approach the issue. The boat is a 2006 B37.
Regards
Simon

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Holding Tank
« Reply #1 on: August 30 2022, 21:10 »
Ours had a nut on the inside. You can access it through the inspection lid from the top, if you make a meter long extension! :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
« Reply #2 on: August 30 2022, 22:18 »
Can you remember the size of the nut as I think i will need a set of the gloves vets use when reaching inside a cow when I try to access it. Did you manage to undo it and reseal?

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
« Reply #3 on: August 30 2022, 23:33 »
Might be best to drain the tank first :)) :)) :))

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: August 31 2022, 10:03 »
No idea, but it was all standard BSP plumbing stuff, so whatever the appropriate nut size is for that size fitting - must be able to look that up. I didn't need to replace our fitting, just saw how it was installed. No way you could've gotten at this with an arm from the top unless you got telescopic arms.

I had the tank out of the boat and on the pontoon for cleaning (pressure washer blew the calcium chunks right out - no time to be squeamish). On our boat there's only very limited room on top where the inspection hatch is, nowhere near enough to work with the tank fitted. But after removing the hoses, it's only four screws to unmount the tank (top tip: plug the bottom before you carry it through the cabin).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
« Reply #5 on: August 31 2022, 19:48 »
Hi Yngmar thanks for the tips, my tank will not remove as there is now way it could fit through the locker door above the toilet so it will have to be done insitu. Joy.

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: September 02 2022, 07:18 »
I own a 37CR from 2006. two cabin version. Can have a look at the situation tomorrow on Bord
As I remember there are no fittings stewed. All are built with the tank.
Did you own two or three cabin version?

Scorcher IV

• First Mate
    • Ease the Sheets
« Reply #7 on: September 07 2022, 08:22 »
Hi Paul,

Ours is the three cabin version, I have bought a cheap wifi endoscope from Amazon and intend to survey the tank and fittings using that the weekend after next. At the moment we are not using the holding tank to try and reduce any fluids dripping out. I am hoping it is the lower pipe not the tank split.

Simon

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #8 on: September 07 2022, 09:53 »
For people who live on boats for long periods of time holding tanks are a maintenance requirement so look after them well. I carry out the following each year as I am always amazed how much calcium build up is in there, which leads to other failings with people trying to clear them.

1   close off seacock to the tank.

2   put  1lt of  hydrolcronic acid to 3lt of hot fresh water in the top of tank, leave for 3 hrs plus, then put a other 2 gallon of fresh water in and leave for 4 hrs.

All of the build up will clear and your seacock will feel easier to turn. Then you will know its cleaned.

If it's the first time it will take longer.

People will say don't use hydrochloric acid it attacks metal, I have been using this method for my tank, heads pipe, and exhaust elbow for 50 years, not had an issue. It's not in there long enough to do damage  but will clean it.

Hope this helps.
Odysseus
Odysseus