Author Topic: Plywood panel sapele Bavaria ocean 38  (Read 915 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Plywood panel sapele Bavaria ocean 38
« on: July 11 2022, 23:30 »
Hi
Have a plywood panel that needs replaced in forward cabin due to water damage before I finally stopped a leak a while back. I removed it after some wiggling and bending to get it out.  It like a lot of other panels are extremely thin ply with a  sapele veneer. 
Any idea where I could purchase, in the uk, a panel so thin as it needs to be bendy to get it in above the port side shelf. Even better would be if I could get it cut to size as it would be tricky without a band saw. I know some hobby ply is thin and perhaps I could glue veneer on, as have some at home.  Would this be suitable if the rear side was varnished?
Thanks
John

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Plywood panel sapele Bavaria ocean 38
« Reply #1 on: July 12 2022, 08:58 »
Doubt you can find it ready veneered, so you will have no choice but to get some thin ply and veneer it yourself. Varnishing it all around (including edges) will definitely make it last much longer if it might leak again.

In less visible areas you can also get away with just staining the ply to match the sapele, but I've only used that for some small shelf supports that are barely peeking out.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Plywood panel sapele Bavaria ocean 38
« Reply #2 on: July 13 2022, 22:14 »
Thanks looks like that’s my only option.  Will attempt to get thinnest ply to bend in place once I’ve applied the veneer andvarnished the back. Luckily up the front in forecabin so less noticeable but all dry finally!!! Took a while and followed a similar path as others with same boat so forum helped a lot
Cheers
J