Author Topic: LPG bottle to fit B30 Cruiser gas locker - where to find?  (Read 1622 times)

FRWL

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
My existing S/S, 3kg LPG bottle is a fraction too squat for the gas locker and I have to (gently!) force close the flimsy plastic door, leaving it slightly warped.
My bottle is 224mm diameter, which seems to be some form of ‘standard’ across the various Australian  manufacturers, regardless of capacity, from 1.3 to 5kg bottles.
Is there some slightly narrower ‘standard’ in Europe? Does anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: LPG bottle to fit B30 Cruiser gas locker - where to find?
« Reply #1 on: June 15 2022, 09:24 »
The locker is designed for Camping Gaz 907 cylinders (2.75kgs) which are the most widely available in Europe.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 15 2022, 09:27 »
A possible solution would be to remove the door, make a flange to fit the mounting surface and then refit the door.  The thickness of the flange would prevent distortion of the door.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: June 15 2022, 09:30 »
The Bavaria gas lockers are designed for Campingaz R907 bottles. Campingaz is the only pan-european standard for gas bottles, otherwise each country has their own or more often, several of their own standards.

The R907 cylinder contains 2.75 kilograms of gas. Dimensions : Ø 20.3 x 23.5 cm

They are not designed to be user refillable (but it's often done anyways). Normally you swap an empty bottle for a full one at a Campingaz dealer.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 15 2022, 12:10 »
According to the Camping Gaz website, the 907 cylinder isn't sold in Australia, so there doesn't seem to be much point in telling him that's what the locker is designed for.

FRWL

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 30
« Reply #5 on: June 15 2022, 15:21 »
Thanks everyone, that’s really useful to know. I was going nuts wondering why I couldn’t get the door to close on my bottle. A 2cm slimmer bottle would make all the difference. I’ll consider the ‘flange’ idea and get the concept, but sounds like it might need fabrication skills beyond mine.
I’m still left wondering though if this same problem affects every Bavaria owner outside of Europe? Surely some ingenious Ozzies have come up with a simple solution! Is it possible to get an Australian-approved tank made-to-order maybe?

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
« Reply #6 on: June 15 2022, 21:45 »
In Germany you can buy a alternative to camping gaz R907, it's called UN1965-2,5KG. Perhaps not available in downunder?!!!

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: June 16 2022, 06:25 »
On another thread 2 years ago there was some discussion about fitting larger gas cylinder https://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php/topic,2789.

Back then I wrote:

Our 40 aft-cockpit has a standard factory fitted gas locker at stern, but the PO had modified gas routing so that a gas cylinder would be located in port cockpit locker (under cockpit settee). This did enable fitting bigger cylinder - a Finnish type 5kg one instead of struggling to fit even the 2kg-type in original location.

With this kind of mod, you obviously have to re-think about the venting of the cockpit locker...

To my knowledge in Finland, Camping Gaz cylinders are not available.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina