Author Topic: Bav 40 - replacing running rigging: recommendation for brand and diameters?  (Read 1030 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
I'm about to replace lines for my main sheet, main halyard, topping lift, and genua (see picture, from left to right).

I measured (and rounded up generously):

Main sheet: 22m
Main halyard: 45m
Topping lift: 45m
Genua: 17m each, 34m in total

Do the numbers make sense to you?
What type of ropes would you recommend? The genua lines and the main sheet line seem to be the same types and diameters (10mm?). The main halyard is also about 10mm but with a softer exterior and the top lift is slightly thinner.

Happy to year what you have installed on your boats.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Can't confirm the measured length, due to larger rig of my boat.
Concerning the type of lines:
It depends on usage of your ship and much more on your wallet; The difference in price is huge.
for racing purposes i would go with higher quality lines, and go for dyneema ones. Would suggest to deal with an expierienced Sailor or a rigger for advice and keep your wallet wide open  >:D.
I'm no racer, and had an eye on the price tag. I changed to dyneema only for the halyards (genoa and main), but could reduce in diameter due to the exeptional strenght. Check the application sheets of each type of line you want to use. Check if the diameter of your chosen line will fit to your winches and the rope clutches on mast or cabin roof. It's not a good idea to take the next bigger diameter just to be sure.
For the sheets i kept the diameter of the original ones and chose polyester type lines of good quality and longevity. Bought them at SVB from the same manufacturer as the original ones came, but not the ones, which SVB sales as original equipment from bavaria, which have the bavaria markup on price!
Have them in use since 2018 and are still fine today!

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Mainsheet and jib sheets 14mm, Halyards if polyester 12mm, topping lift 10mm. As suggested dyneema for halyards can go down a size. For cruising I use Liros braid on braid.

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
Speaking of Liros: I bought Liros Herkules for the Traveller. This seems to be lower quality than my Liros Handy mooring lines. Liros is not always Liros?

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Your lengths are similar to my B39, so seem ok. I went down from 12mm double braid polyester to Liros Dyneema- it’s made life much easier & my main halyard now has 7.00t Breaking Strain.