Author Topic: Bavaria 42 Prop Walk  (Read 1510 times)

aop

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Bavaria 42 Prop Walk
« on: June 06 2022, 10:27 »
I have just purchased a Bavaria 42 (2007) with a 2 blade folding prop. I find the levele of prop walk much greater than I have experienced on my previos Bavaria 37 which had a three blade Volve prop. Does anyone know if 2 bladed folding props induce more prop walk. I've  hunch that the 2 bladed prop must have greater pitch and that this might induce more prop walk. Even in forward gear at 7 knots the boat will turn sharply to staboard.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria 42 Prop Walk
« Reply #1 on: June 06 2022, 22:54 »
I have had 2 blade folders (FlexoFold) on a 37 with a 2030 and a later 33 with a D1 30 and both ran straight in forward and no noticeable prop walk in reverse. A 2 blade is unusual with a 42, they have 3 blade as standard (fixed) and ne benefit in going to 2 blade with a folder. Usually with a 2 blade the diameter is larger by 1" and the pitch probably steeper, but it depends on the actual design of the prop. Folding and feathering propellers do not always have the same sizes as fixed. On the 33 the fixed that came with the boat was a 16*13 and the folder 16*11. so if you do change yo a 3 blade folder or feaatherer take the size recommended by the manufacturer. On my current boat, not a Bavaria I am fitting a Featherstream which in my view for a cruising boat is a better choice than a folder.

Daryl28

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 07 2022, 12:04 »
Hi aop,

We also have a Bavaria 42 Cruiser from 2007. We have a fixed 3 blade propeller on a saildrive. We don't experience any prop walk at all that is noticeable. I think this is due to the saildrive. Previously we had a Beneteau that was a shaft drive and the prop walk on that was horrendous. I would suggest, it may be a good idea to have the prop checked and balanced on the next lift out. One of the items on our wish list was a Bruntons folding propeller, but at over £3,000 we couldn't really justify the cost and we've just stuck with the fixed 3 blade aluminum prop. We've recently just crossed Biscay directly from Plymouth to Viveiro in North West Spain. We crossed with a lot of wind and some fairly big seas, but the boat behaved impeccably and we sailed all the way with quite a quick crossing. We have only owned our Bavaria 42 Cruiser for less than two years, and we think she's a great boat. Are you pleased with your new boat and all the extra space? All the best Daryl.

Daryl28

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 07 2022, 12:13 »
As syphony2 has stated. I think it should be a 3 blade folding propeller and not a 2 blade. I'm certainly no expert, but I would think that the Bavaria 42 is a bit too big for a 2 bladed folding propeller. When were quoted by Bruntons for a folding propeller, they matched the boat up with a  3 blade folding propeller. It might be worth your while making a phone call to Bruntons. There phone number is:- 01255 420005. Good luck. Atb Daryl.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: June 07 2022, 14:37 »
I have a 3 blade Bruntons auto prop for sale if you intersted,  taken from my Bavaria42.  Cowes and Scotland