Author Topic: Calorifier / hot water Bavaria 30  (Read 11651 times)

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Calorifier / hot water Bavaria 30
« on: August 01 2013, 11:02 »
Having been rainbound for the last couple of days with no engine running, I've noticed we have no hot water. Help! Previously not noticed as we'd had the engine running most days, so I guess the heat exchanger (?) was heating the water for us.

We are attached to shore power, the isolator switches are on, and the fuse switch on Panel 302 is in the "On" position. (Red light is on to indicate that the power is connected to the heater, I think.) I've checked that the QL water heater is plugged in. We have cold water, and the cold water tank is full.

Is there anything else that I should have done as a new Bav owner? Any suggestions gratefully received - and please don't hesitate to suggest the obvious!

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Calorifier / hot water Bavaria 30
« Reply #1 on: August 01 2013, 12:33 »
Just recently my heater stayed cold as the boat was plugged in to land power. It turned out to be the switch on the electric panel just quit. The light in the switch stayed on but the switch itself had no effect. I just bridged it for now and will look for a new switch when time permits.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: August 01 2013, 15:52 »
Thanks, Landes. The switch is quite good at turning the red light on and off! I'm rather nervous about opening up the 230 volt panel 302 to investigate further..!

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: August 01 2013, 16:59 »
Just an update: the socket that the heater plugs into works - so power is getting to the heater. Ho hum...

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: August 01 2013, 17:30 »
Is the thermostat operating, you should hear it click when you turn it

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: August 01 2013, 17:58 »
Hi Mia - do I have a thermostat? I've had a dig around, but all I can find is a Webastgo dial that seems to do the interior heating. Thus far I have a hot water fuse switch that lights a red light on the panel and powers a European type socket into which the QL water heater is plugged. I've checked that there's 240 volts going to the socket. Anywhere else I should be looking - or have I singularly failed to find said thermostat? (Quite possible - it took me HOURS to work out that the black rubber thing in the heads wasn't a doorstop but was in fact the shower extraction switch!!!)

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #6 on: August 01 2013, 19:16 »
try the elec plug thats attached to the heater cable, it has a fuse in it.

rgds Ray

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: August 01 2013, 19:34 »
Hi Ray: thanks for the idea, but the plug is a 2 pin European type that is moulded and (I think) fuseless. the cable goes directly into the water heater. (Mind you, on the plus side, I'm getting quite good at boat aerobics!)

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #8 on: August 01 2013, 21:31 »
Mine had a 3 pin uk plug, the thermostat is inside the heater unit, just join wires across thus by-passing the stat and it should boil if left too long, if you hear it heating, then bingo just the stat gone, make sure you unplug it though, dont want the unit overheating! this advice is only to assist in diagnosis.

good luck

Ray

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: August 02 2013, 06:48 »
It should have a thermostat as it would just boil the water, check a post named Electric Water Heater theres photographs on that thread

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #10 on: August 02 2013, 11:30 »
Check the "Quick" web site for your boiler's manual
< http://www.quicknauticalequipment.com/?lng=en&cs1=02&ms1=3&ms2=1&ms3=5 >
The boiler also has some "reset" button which may need to be push in again. I guess it activates when the boiler overheats, or so.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: August 02 2013, 12:07 »
Thanks, Mia. Your answer to my question reveals the depths of my ignorance!

Found the thermostat hidden under a black box on the side of the heater. Checked that there is mains power reaching the thermostat. No clicking, however, when I turn it from 1 to 5 (it was on 4.)

So looks like the thermostat is shot?

Ray, tried to bridge the connections, but my sausage fingers found the space too limited to allow me to work. My appreciation of the DDZ engineers has increased still further!

Lander: thank you. My boiler is a QL, and I found the manual here: http://great-water.com/store/PDF/files/manuals/Install_WaterHeat_Eng.pdf However, the instructions are less than clear about the cut-off: "Our thermostats are equipped with a high temperature cut out safety switch, which is an electro-mechanical device that opens the current circuit and disconnects the electric heating element if the thermostat fails. When activated, the pin located
near the temperature regulator dial is released. To check that the pin has not been released and is set correctly, check that the pin is lying a few millimeters below the structures edge."

HOWEVER, having plugged, unplugged, prodded and circuit tested, we now have hot water! I have no idea how this happened - but wouldn't have had the courage to try without all your suggestions.

Question - attached to the cold water inlet to the heater is a red tap with a turn arrow. However, rather than lefty-loosey / righty-tighty turning, it seems to turn in 1/4 turn increments, and one setting engages the water pump continuously, the other doesn't. I wonder if this is how it's supposed to work?

Thanks again for the assist. Looks like the rain has stopped too - good news!

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #12 on: August 04 2013, 08:10 »
I believe the tap is a pressure release, discharging back to the tank, or in some boats, the bilge!
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #13 on: August 04 2013, 08:50 »
Brilliant, Nigel: thank you. (That would explain why after I left it on the "on" part of the turn for a while to see what would happen, I found that my water tank was almost empty! Thank Heavens for Bavaria Yacht panel alarms!)

Algey

• Swab
« Reply #14 on: August 05 2013, 21:37 »
Hi Chris, we had to change the heating coil last winter as it had started to show an earth neutral fault. Kept tripping the RCD. I got a new coil from these guys http://www.penguineng.com/index.html. They also sell the thermostat assembly. Once you have disconnected the wires, the element can be prised out.
Cheers
Al.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #15 on: August 05 2013, 22:22 »
Just for completeness, this is the "Electric Water Heater" thread referred to by MIA above.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

livefats

• Able Seaman
« Reply #16 on: August 07 2013, 19:19 »
Thanks, Algey: something to bookmark in case of future needs! Thus far the "magical" fix of take it apart, give it a poke and see what happens appears to be working, although I suspect not for long! And thanks, Nigel, for a repost of the link. Although it's not my unit, it did help my understanding of how hidden a thermostat can be!