Author Topic: Anchor Winlass  (Read 1384 times)

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
Anchor Winlass
« on: February 10 2022, 15:14 »
Boat is a Bavaria 30 Cruiser 2006

The windlass is unreliable. Half the time it will work seamlessly and then it will just cut out work a but then cut out, A big problem when anchoring in a confined area and the boat has drifted before I can get the anchor down if it's cut out, it feels like a lose connection ??

I've purchased a new controller and rewired the male and female connector to the controller. Someone suggested the brushes in the unit but I would have thought it would just work or not if they were faulty.

Anyone any thoughts please,   

Thank you

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Re: Anchor Winlass
« Reply #1 on: February 10 2022, 15:20 »
As all boat parts need periodic controls. Last year I dismount it, brought to mechanic to ceck electric parts and oil level. Also ceck all boat electric parts.

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: February 10 2022, 16:03 »
what kind of Winch? what manufacturer? Picture?

Thomas

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 10 2022, 16:11 »
It could well be the brushes it was the problem on mine
Take them out clean by wiping, clean carbon off the contacts.
Check the springs are keeping them in contact.
Its the usual problem
Sometimes tapping the windlass makes it work  if so definitely a brush issue
Too much carbon residue and there's no clean contact.
Hope this helps

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: February 17 2022, 16:56 »
Thanks all.

I've a electrician friend on board next week and will pass on your suggestions.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: February 17 2022, 17:23 »
On ours it was a joint in the cable that corroded and went high resistance. Result was it worked sometimes and sometimes not, but especially not when you needed it most! :)

By the way, in most situations it is better (and always faster) to drop the anchor in freefall by releasing the windlass clutch, rather than slowly winching it down.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: February 18 2022, 02:59 »
Corrosion on the up/down signal cables would be my first area to look at. I had similar problems on a B36/2002 where Bavaria had used ordinary copper wire, and the up/down signal cables had corroded throughout their entire length from the point where the portable controller plugged into the connection within the chain locker, all the way back to the solenoid located between the switchboard panel and the inside of the boat hull.

Removing and replacing that signal wire with tinned copper wire was difficult, but doable, and involved laying in a new three core cable all the way from the chain locker, through the forward cabin forward bulkhead against the hull, and all the way along the starboard side behind the half height lockers just under the deck. It worked a treat, but the secret was to use cable containing tinned copper wires to prevent further corrosion and having to do the job again some time later.

An alternative to replacing the thin signal wire cable was to go on to ebay, and buy a cheap (£10 at the time) radio operated winch controller for winches used on off road pick up trucks. They may be a little more money now, but many of the more modern radio operated controllers now come with two transmitters rather than just the single one I bought.

The receiver for the system wires directly into the solenoid controller, so no need to mess around behind all those cupboards. Also with two transmitters, it gives you some redundancy for the day you chuck one of them over side.

Having a radio control system allows you to operate the windlass from almost anywhere on deck, or even from a neighbours boat if it takes your fancy, so long as it is less than 50 feet away !!

You could also buy a radio control system from the windlass manufacturer, just be prepared to spend well over £100 instead of nearer £10, but it won’t do the job any better, and probably only has one controller included in the price.