Author Topic: Fairlead Robustness for anchoring or being towed. 2000 Bavaria 34  (Read 1552 times)

LinTeal

• Second Mate
With regard to anchoring is it OK to rely on the snubber being led through one fairlead as opposed to being over the bow roller.The same query applies as to the line from a swinging mooring? Also are the fairleads up to a bridal through both fairleads if being towed ?
I assume in the above scenarios there may not be a high load on the fairlead but if there was a considerable load are the fairleads robust ?

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
I just tie my snubber off at one of the bow cleats and don't bother going through the bow roller, and on my mooring, I put a line from the mooring buoy back to each bow cleat, again ignoring the bow roller.  Never had any problems with loads.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
With regard to anchoring is it OK to rely on the snubber being led through one fairlead as opposed to being over the bow roller.The same query applies as to the line from a swinging mooring? Also are the fairleads up to a bridal through both fairleads if being towed ?
I assume in the above scenarios there may not be a high load on the fairlead but if there was a considerable load are the fairleads robust ?

I don't think the fairleads are very robust.  You mention being towed, in this case I'd want to try to attach the tow line to somewhere like the mast foot, and lead it straight forward and over the bow roller.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
I'd want to try to attach the tow line to somewhere like the mast foot, and lead it straight forward and over the bow roller.

I would strongly advise against this. The Selden mast foot is well designed for absorbing the loads from a mast, which are almost entirely vertical. It's absolutely not designed to withstand horizontal shockloads from towing a boat and if you look at how the mast is attached to the foot, you will quickly run scared from this idea.

The alumnium toerail integrated fairleads are fairly strong and will handle anchoring/mooring loads. After the storm that smashed in the breakwater here a few years ago, a Bavaria with that design had one of the bow cleats torn out of the deck, but the fairlead was unharmed.

If towing is absolutely unavoidable, rig a bridle and shock absorber and/or use a elastic line (nylon anchor rode). The snatching can be horrendous and boats have had their bow fittings ripped off and anchors bent when towing in a swell.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
we have a 2001 34 and we have picked mooring buoys and unfortunately been towed with lines through the fairleads to the cleats.
In ten years we've never had a problem.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
Tiger79/Yngmar, it is common advice for towing to tie off at the mast and use a bridle at the stem fitting to keep the tow rope and bow reasonably close. This advice is good for keel steeped masts as the partners take the towing load very well. In the case of a deck stepped mast Yngmar is correct, there is a key to support some horizontal load, but not the high snatch loads encountered while towing. In this case it is best to take the tow rope back to the primary winches. Best not to get in a situation where a tow is required!
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

LinTeal

• Second Mate
Many thanks for the comments.