Author Topic: Hull shape changes over the years.  (Read 1625 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Hull shape changes over the years.
« on: February 07 2022, 15:13 »
In July 2019 I purchased my new to myself; Bavaria 32 year 2002.   Previously I built from a bare hull a Legend 34 (Designer Van De Stadt).

Although I loved my old boat which I owned and sailed for 34 years; since sailing my Bavaria 32 I found that with the longer waterline length and probably much lighter weight, she is quite a bit faster.  (My old boat had a waterline length of 26 feet and had a long fin and skeg design.   She was also used as a livaboard in the Ionian and had largish tanks, lots of spares and several large batteries).

I require a Bimini and frame for my boat.   I have been in touch with Messrs Tec Sew and they state that they only make Bimini covers for the newer Bavarias and have never made one for my year of boat.   I am based on the East Coast of the UK and had contacted a company who have made stainless steel structures for my old boat there but so far they have not replied.   (Hence my contacting a South coast supplier).

This got to me wondering about any possible changes in the hull design.   Once the moulds for a boat are made, surely it is more profitable to keep the moulds as they are and build as many boats as is practicable?    I have a friend with a Bavaria 33 and another who owned until recently, a Bavaria 38 and they both spoke positively about their boats, which is why I went for the Bav 32.   I must say that I am delighted with my boat for although she is nearly twenty years of age, she has had little use and is in very good condition with a lowish mileage engine and her sails are good for her age.   She is also the shoal draft version which suits me better for the East Coast of the U.K. 

The frend with the Bavaria 33 informed me that there was very little difference between the Bav 32, 33 and the Bav 34.

In the manuals section of this website I can only find a 2001 version of the Bavaria 32 listed, no other year.

I do want help regarding the Bimini but my question is more about the difference in the various boats.   Can anyone elaborate please?

What are the different specifications for the Bavaria 32, 33 and 34 please as I am curious?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Hull shape changes over the years.
« Reply #1 on: February 07 2022, 16:19 »
I require a Bimini and frame for my boat.   I have been in touch with Messrs Tec Sew and they state that they only make Bimini covers for the newer Bavarias and have never made one for my year of boat.   I am based on the East Coast of the UK and had contacted a company who have made stainless steel structures for my old boat there but so far they have not replied.   (Hence my contacting a South coast supplier).

Try C&J Marine, they are one of the biggest suppliers of sprayhoods and biminis, and their products are first-class.  Their website has the following pic of a bimini they made for a 32.

https://www.cjmarine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Product-Photo-BAVA-32C-BM-1.jpg

On the East Coast, Dolphin Sails seem to make some decent canvas, worth asking them for a quote.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 07 2022, 17:36 »
Yup, C&J for your bimini (they did all the canvaswork for Opal during the early 2000s, so will have a template for your boat.

As far your other question, you can only pull a certain number of boats out of a set of moulds, and back then, Bavaria were making around 5,000 boats a year, so it didn't take long for the moulds to need replacing.  I guess that, along with the "sales and marketing" that comes with having a new model, is why there was a regular turnover of models back then.  They only made my one for just over a year, although in that case, they kept the hull the same on the subsequent model, and just changed the deck and interior.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 07 2022, 18:42 »
There were broadly 2 generations of J&J designs, the first starting around 1997and between then and 2005/6 there were many variations on the same basic theme. As suggested these boats were made in huge volumes, feeding both the charter market and private owners. Because of the volume moulds needed replacing at very short intervals and Bavaria subcontracted design and construction of moulds to J&J in Slovenia with a brief to make changes in most cases for the better - main aim was "more boat for lower cost". The 2000 model 34 was  good example, it was almost as big as the 36 but sold for much the same price as the then30, and the 32 was brought in, bigger than the 30 and cheaper than the 34. This was a common pattern throughout the size range. Things started to slow down in 2006 and a new hull and deck range came in, and for example the 33 and 37 were quite different from their predecessors. volumes dropped dramatically after the financial crash and Bavaria moved to Farr Design for a new range. This got off to a shaky start  in 2010 partly because of dodgy styling designed by BMW in California. However 2013 saw a big revamp to what is now essentially the Cruiser range. So more like your earlier proposition, basic designs having longer lives. The basic hulls from 2010 are still in use. It is all a question of volume and amounts of money available for development. Going bust 3 rimes during this period does not help.

Back to your bimini. Yes C&J will have the patterns. They made all the canvas for the J&J boats for Opal Marine, but Clipper moved to Tec Sew when the Farr designs came in. I expect Tec Sew could design and make one for you but would need access to the boat to scan it. Demand in the UK for a bimini for a 20 year old boat is probably pretty small - indeed not sure why you would want one here at all, particularly as the 32 is not an easy boat to fit one because of the small cockpit and low boom.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: February 08 2022, 12:33 »
Thanks to both of you.

As for my wish to have a Bimini, it is because like you, Symphony 2, I previously sailed in the Ionian and am now back home in the Uk, I want the Bimini for protection from rain - not sun!   I have memories of lay up trips motoring down the river Deben in torrential rain getting absolutely soaked!   Now in my later years, I do not wish to expose myself to this.   I had an arrangement on the Legend 34 where the front section of the Bimini had an extension that went to above the sprayhood which afforded a lot of protection.

Referring to both posts, the legend 34 moulds were hardly used.   For a good boat, it was a pity that hardly anyone took up the design.   Most hulls were fitted out by the occasional boat builder and the rest, like myself by private individuals.   With makes like the Bavaria the numbers were considerable.   It did not occur to me that boat moulds had a limited life!

I will contact C and J Marine. and thankyou.