Author Topic: Ambassador Rope cutter advice please.  (Read 1593 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Ambassador Rope cutter advice please.
« on: February 05 2022, 14:57 »
Hi everyone,

I am considering the purchase of a rope cutter to fit to my 2002 Bavarie 32 (Volvo MD2020-D BT)   (Standard 2 blade propeller)

Can anyone advise me if the saildrive is the 120 type or the 130 type as Ambassador mention both kits?

Any advice regarding the above ropecutter and information regarding the 3 blade /2 blade models will be greatly appreciated.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Ambassador Rope cutter advice please.
« Reply #1 on: February 05 2022, 22:08 »
If it is the original then 120 as the 130 did not come in until 2005 roughly when the D1 engines came in. Easy way to tell as the 120 has a one piece anode whereas the 130 is 2 piece. The only way it can have a 130 is if the complete drive has been replaced (I did this on a 2030). So the difference between the 2 for the rope cutter is obviously the anode, but also the cap screw that the peg for the fixed cutter locates in is in a different place, so the fixed cutters are not interchangeable. 3 blade is for 3 blade props and 2 for 2 blade. Important to get the holes in the face of the prop that take the drive pegs in the right place it they determine the position of the cutting blades in relation to the prop blades. Full instructions with the kit.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: February 06 2022, 12:56 »
Thankyou Symphony 2 for your help and advice.

Chris.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: February 06 2022, 13:29 »
We have a Stripper rope cutter on our 120S-E saildrive (3 blade prop, so 3-blade cutter to match). It works surprisingly well, having accidentally tested it on a marina lazyline that got sucked into the propeller.

It requires a modified anode, which you can either buy for triple the price of the normal ones, or modify yourself (Zinc is soft and easy to work with hand tools and vise). Just buy once and then use as template for modifying your own.

The propeller also is modified with two holes for the rotating part to slot into.

The model of your saildrive is written on a nice label plate on top of the gearbox.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)